Problems with iTead dual stepper motor driver shield

Hello... if I need to connect a 12V stepper to the shield... I must 1. cut the Vin pin in the shield, 2. cut the two ground pins in the shield, 3. connect the shield to the arduino by mounted it up, 4. connect the arduino to a 5VDC source, 6. connect the shield to a 12VDC source using the power jack... is that correct...??? please help... Thanks...

I found a schematic, but maybe it was for your Rev.
There is an "EXT VCC" on it.
Any links to your device?

If I had a wish it'd be for people to obtain the documentation for their exact itead/seeed board before they purchase.

Hello... thanks for your response... the links below includes the schematic and the data sheet... before I type this topic in the forum I take a revision of this documents and some web pages and I am almost sure that the way I pretend to connect this equipment is correct, but I am looking for a new opinion... so thanks again for your time and answers...

ftp://imall.iteadstudio.com/IM120417015_Dual_Step_motor_driver/SCH_IM120417015_Dual_Step_motor_driver_shield.pdf

ftp://imall.iteadstudio.com/IM120417015_Dual_Step_motor_driver/DS_IM120417015_Dual_Step_motor_driver_shield.pdf

http://imall.iteadstudio.com/development-platform/arduino/shields/im120417015.html

The links in Reply#2 are NG
The link in Reply#3 led me to the following schematic
ftp://imall.iteadstudio.com/IM120417015_Dual_Step_motor_driver/SCH_IM120417015_Dual_Step_motor_driver_shield.pdf

Its "VIN" is connected to pin 5 and 20, the "Load Supply", of both of the A3967 drivers.

That "VIN" comes in from "JACK-3"

jonperez:

1. cut the Vin pin in the shield,
  2. cut the two ground pins in the shield,
  3. connect the shield to the arduino by mounted it up,
  4. connect the arduino to a 5VDC source,
  5. [skipped!]
  6. connect the shield to a 12VDC source using the power jack.
  1. With no power or USB on the Arduino, does it still power up if the stepper shield is powered through its own barrel jack?
  2. No
  3. Is it possible to mount it any way but the right way?
  4. No, but maybe to its own "Vin" - depends on answer to #1
  5. --
  6. It looks that way. I'd like to know if that supply is kept separate from the Arduino "Vin" (again, it depends on the answer to #1.)

Hello... thanks again for your response... I have powered the shield through its own jack and the shield doesn't turn on... I connect the arduino to a USB port, and the shield to a external 12VDC supply and connect the outputs of the arduino to the inputs on the shield using wires.

But if I connect the shield directly to the arduino using the pins on the shield, and connect the arduino using a USB port or an external 5VDC source the shield turn on... in the same way if I connect the external source with 5VDC to the shield using the barrel jack, the shield and the arduino turns on if they are connected using te pins...

jonperez:
But if I connect the shield directly to the arduino using the pins on the shield, and connect the arduino using a USB port or an external 5VDC source the shield turn on...

Can you explain what you mean by "on"?
Because its "PWR" LED turns on? All that indicates, according to the schematic, is 5V is coming up from the Arduino (OK).
What's more important is: what is the voltage at the shield's VIN (to Gnd.)?

As I look at it, the labelling on the shield leaves much to be desired. It's difficult to tell you "probe here", other than the obvious pins 5 and 20 of both of the A3967 drivers. However, C5 looks like a good place.

So, here are two things to do:
I.

1. with the shield plugged into the Arduino
  2. with nothing connected to the shield barrel jack and the Arduino powered (USB or Arduino barrel jack),
    what is the voltage across C5?
    II.
  3. with the shield plugged into the Arduino
  4. the Arduino not connected to USB and with its barrel jack disconnected (unpowered) too
  5. with the shield's barrel jack plugged in
    what is the voltage across C5?

I have attached a pic of what I think must be "C5".
If you don't have a voltmeter then I guess we won't get much further.

jonperez:
in the same way if I connect the external source with 5VDC to the shield using the barrel jack, the shield and the arduino turns on if they are connected using te pins...

The power source to the Arduino jack isn't, or shouldn't be 5 volts. It should be 7.5-9V. The on-board regulator will result 5V, but it's different.

C5zoom.JPG

JP,

Getting anywhere?