Go Down

Topic: Scoreboard project (Read 6713 times) previous topic - next topic

cdelamo

I am currently in the process of creating a scoreboard, 8 of them to be exact; however, considering I am a bit new to the electronics department (as far as chips and wiring) I came to the forums to get a bit of insight.

I plan on using x4 8" 7 segment LED's for the countdown timer as well as x4 for the count up/down and wanted to get an idea on what kind of boards and chips I should be using in the assembly of the scoreboard

I do have soldering experience so that will not be an issue

Thank you in advance

larryd

Each digit could be made on PCB with series string of LEDs (may want to double up for width), mount them on a backplane board.

Can use these with the Arduino (search web site for how-to).
http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX7219-MAX7221.pdf
No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

Nick_Pyner

There is some stuff in the arduino playground on this but I found it a bit of a struggle.

There is some discussion here:

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=179691.0

There is no pretense of an accurate timer, it is just an exercise of the display.

cdelamo

Thank you guys/girls for the quick replies

After a some look through forums, I see that I should be using shift registers for each digit correct (each 7 segment LED) considering they will be multiplexing, making that 8 in total (4 for the clock, 4 for count up/down of each teams points)

Also, what would you recommend as far as resistors for this project? I will be using this/these during the day both indoors and outdoors therefore it needs to be seen with the sun out. I do plan on building it into a box with a tinted plexiglass so that may help with visibility.

I also forgot to add, for the counting down of the timer, I would like for it to by controlled by a remote (Bluetooth or IR) with a start, stop, and reset button if possible. As well as Count up/down and Reset for each team making it a total of 9 buttons, although I do not mind making this on 2 separate remotes if it is not possible

With that being said, can this all be connected to one Arduino One?.

Again I am very sorry for the "Newbie" questions as this is all a very big step in learning electrical work and circuitry and THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help in advance.

CrossRoads

You could use a board I offer, the board is basically an arduino that you populate with up to 12 TPIC6B595 shift register, each one controls a digit, each digit made of segments of LED strip powered from 12V source. USB/Serial adapter is offboard. Connect up your bluetooth or RF remote to the serial port instead if you want.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

cdelamo

How would I go about completing the project without that additional board?

I currently have the following:

Numerous breadboards
10 shift registers
10 8" 7 Segment LED's
Arduino Uno (although I may try to go around using it for this project if possible)
and a bunch of resistors

Sorry for the dumb questions, as I stated I am very new to this and would like learn a little more while completing my project.

CrossRoads

Got a spec/link for these:
Numerous breadboards
10 shift registers
10 8" 7 Segment LED's

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

cdelamo

Attached I have included the datasheets for the the 8" 7 Segment Displays as well as the Shift Registers (TPICB595N) that I plan to use

CrossRoads

Are the LEDs common anode? I can't tell from the datasheet, opens with all kinds of stuff missing under Foxit PDF reader.

cdelamo

CrossRoads

Aug 01, 2013, 07:23 am Last Edit: Aug 01, 2013, 07:26 am by CrossRoads Reason: 1
You should be in good shape then.
Wire up the TCIP6B595 control lines in parallel with the data-in & data-out in series between them,
0.1uF cap from power pin to gnd,
and send out data via SPI transfers:
Code: [Select]

// call this out when one or more of the numbers changes
digitalWrite(ssPin, LOW);
for (x=0; x<10; x=x+1){
SPI.transfer(fontArray [numberToDisplay[x] ]); // font of the numbers, & array holding the number to display
}
digitalWrite (ssPin, HIGH); // displays update on this rising edge

create this in the pre-setup code
Code: [Select]

byte numberToDisplay[10]; // holds the number to be displayed at each digit location
byte fontArray[] = {          // holds the digit to segment mapping
B00111111, // 0    - writing 1  bring an output low to sink current
B00000110, // 1     bit 7 = DP, 6 - G, 5 = F, 4 = E, 3 = D, 2 = C, 1 = B, 0 = A
B01011011, // 2              a
etc                             f        b
B01101111, // 9              g
}                                 e        c
                                      d        dp

cdelamo

After numerous attempts in the past few weeks, I have yet to even get the 7 Segment Digit to light up (Due to my lack of knowledge in Arduino as well as connecting the digits to the board)

As I am currently in Law School, I do not have much time to work on this project and would like assistance in helping complete it.

If there is someone who could possibly make a diagram of how to connect it all together using a breadboard, I would greatly appreciate it and would compensate you for the time.

CrossRoads

Got a soldering iron? For $48 including shipping (I just priced up a kit for someone else) I can send you a bare board and all materiel except the LEDs and resistors to make the board above.
For each digit: header pin to resistor to LED cathode, with the anode back to +V on the header.
Or you can send me the digits and shift registers and I can wire it up on protboard for you.
PM me, we can discuss cost based on what you want to do - assemble board, mount LEDs on protoboard, connect push buttons to update/reset scores, write/test the code, etc.

Go Up