Go Down

Topic: Digital Pins on arduino not providing Output. (Read 2423 times) previous topic - next topic

tjrusk12

My digital pins on my arduino UNO are not providing output power. I have a code that tells the pin to set as high on output mode, yet I get no output power. Why is this?

AWOL

Output power for what?
Nothing drawing more than about 30mA, I hope.

tjrusk12

I have a signal wire from the arduino digital pin attached to a resistor and a transistor. But when I tell the arduino uno to set the digital pin with the signal wire attached to it to HIGH, it gives off no power to the signal wire

AWOL

Did you remember to set the pinMode to be OUTPUT?

JimboZA

it gives off no power to the signal wire

How do you know that?- are you measuring it with a voltmeter? Got an LED with resistor to ground as an indicator?

You ought to post your code and a schematic of the circuit.
Johannesburg hams call me: ZS6JMB on Highveld rep 145.7875 (-600 & 88.5 tone)
Dr Perry Cox: "Help me to help you, help me to help you...."
Your answer may already be here: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=384198.0

tjrusk12

Yes I did. I defined which pin the signal wire was set to, and in the void setup I defined it as pinMode OUTPUT.
I will try it with the LED and resistor. But it's odd because when I try the signal wire with a 5V power source other than the arduino it works fine. I will test it though.

cmiyc

Post your actual code.

I will try it with the LED and resistor.

What were you trying it with before?
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

JimboZA

I will try it with the LED and resistor.

..... but a meter is much simpler! You got one? If not, get one- even a cheapie.
Your answer may already be here: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=384198.0

tjrusk12

Wow! I was looking through my drawer and found one!!! Talk about a good day! :)
I was trying it directly with the resistor, transistor, and motor.

This is my code:

int motorpin = 2;

void setup() {
   pinMode(motorpin, OUTPUT);
   }
void loop() {
   digitalWrite(motorpin, HIGH);
   delay(2000);
   digitalWrite(motorpin, LOW);
    delay(2000);
   }

cmiyc

I was looking through my drawer and found one!!!

So what do you measure on the pin then?

I was trying it directly with the resistor, transistor, and motor.

Okay, now you should probably identify what value resistor, transistor, and type of motor.  Plus how it was connected.

When asking for help, do not assume anyone on this side of the screen can see your hardware.  Most of us don't work for the NSA.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

JimboZA

The point we're making is that maybe the pin is going high, but the circuit is wonky so the highness on the pin isn't giving you the desired visible results....

tjrusk12

I'm measuring it now. When I get the voltage I will post it.

Let me go find my transistor boxes, the model types  and the motor specifications. Sorry for not being specific. I will definently be more detailed.

I can't at this moment post a picture of my circuit. If you would like I could post one later. I've tried everything and I'm still not getting results. Let me go measure the pin with the voltmeter and see what my voltage is.

tjrusk12

I solved the problem! The arduino UNO was not grounded, therefore it never made a complete circuit. Thanks for your help guys! :)

Go Up