Go Down

Topic: LED intensity and enclosures (Read 5461 times) previous topic - next topic

Paul__B

As an aside, CD/DVD drives don't implement light pipes, or I've never torn apart one that did

Shows a pic of what I would consider typical:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Headphone-amplifier/#step1

Well, that's funny, because in those illustrations, I see a green LED which is round, and a square hole on the front panel corresponding to it.

Is that indeed, an empty hole?  Because all the drives I have to hand here, seem to have a solid piece of plastic - a light pipe in fact - in that hole!  XD

av8or1

I think you'd be better off designing a PCB with the LEDs mounted in the appropriate position and then attach that to the back of your faceplate.

Well that was my original design actually.  Had some quasi-negative feedback regarding that approach from a couple of board manufacturers that I sent my gerbers to, and the cost of multiple boards versus the everything-on-one-single-board was appreciably higher, so I went with the latter, mostly based on cost.  That's when light pipes came into the picture.  I knew nothing about them and it has been a whirlwind of learning over the past week or so.  Interesting stuff.

As an aside, CD/DVD drives don't implement light pipes, or I've never torn apart one that did (and I've torn apart quite a few). The standard is to mount the LEDs, volume control, headphone jack, and eject button on a single-sided PCB which is then connected back to the main circuit board with a multiconductor cable.

I would not have thought that they would be necessary, but I am still learning.  Thank you for the feedback!

I will post the final approach that I end up going with.

Go Up