Go Down

Topic: Arduino Yun - First (very complicated and frustrating) experience (Read 9807 times) previous topic - next topic

sonique

Hello guys ,
I bought Arduino Yun and just connected to my MAC I had to fight all night causes a wrong configuration of Arduino's wifi .
Let me explain what happened:
First time I connected my board to the MAC,  Arduino configured as AP without any problem.
I connected to the AP Arduino without problem in just a couple of seconds.
Later, I tried to configure my network , connecting arduino to my router without success, because Arduino could not see my router . In desperation , after about an hour to refresh in the vain hope to see in the list the name of my router , I tried to force the configuration incorrectly.
From that moment on, it was not possible to connect more than my MAC with Arduino which , of course , tried to connect to a network whose configuration was incorrect.
Aware of this, I thought well to press wifi reset button holding down the reset button for more than 5 seconds but nothing happened ; the wrong settings didn't delete.
Exhausted , I also connected the cable to the Ethernet port and only then I was able to regain access to my Yun and delete my misconfiguration . Now everything seems to go well, but I have the following considerations to be made from which I expect confirmation or denial by you :

- Yun AP mode  only serves to configure the card WIFI and connect to your home network . In this mode, is not possible to program in wireless mode.

- The Wifi button reset does not seem to be very responsive. Sometimes happened to press button but the blu LED doesn't light up. Why?

I'm waiting feedback,

Thanks a lot 

sonique

UP
In general I would say that the wifi module still seems to be very unstable.
What do you think?

federicofissore

[...]
I bought Arduino Yun and just connected to my MAC I had to fight all night causes a wrong configuration of Arduino's wifi .
[...]

Hi sonique

When the yun comes out of the box, it's configured as it was in the US. USA wifi regulations prohibit certain channels, 13 in particular. This may be the reason for not having seen your wifi listed.

When the yun tries to connect to your wifi, you see the wlan led blinking. It will blink for about 60 seconds. If in 60 seconds it wasn't able to connect to your wifi, it will fall back to AP mode and reboot

- Yun AP mode  only serves to configure the card WIFI and connect to your home network . In this mode, is not possible to program in wireless mode.

From the IDE point of view, there is no difference between AP and client mode. If your yun is in AP mode and your pc is connected to its wifi, you'll see the yun listed in the port menu. Try uploading a blink. It should just work.

- The Wifi button reset does not seem to be very responsive. Sometimes happened to press button but the blu LED doesn't light up. Why?

True. Wifi reset button becomes active only after linux has booted: that happens after a minute or so from the moment you power it on.

sonique

Thanks a lot Federico,

At this point, the only thing that is not clear yet is the possibility to programm wirelessy when Arduino is in AP mode.
Last night I tried but without success.

When the yun comes out of the box, it's configured as it was in the US. USA wifi regulations prohibit certain channels, 13 in particular. This may be the reason for not having seen your wifi listed.

In my partuclar case the issue not depend from channel because I was 6 id channel but from the configuration of Time Zone. However a restart of my router has solved the problem of invisibility.

federicofissore

At this point, the only thing that is not clear yet is the possibility to programm wirelessy when Arduino is in AP mode.
Last night I tried but without success.

Try again, maybe with the simple Blink example: most of the time I've spent making the IDE working with the Yun, it was in AP mode.

sonique

sonique

Hi all,
now I'm connected in the same network of Arduino. I can access to arduino.local and see wifi configuration. I can also download program on board.

It's normal not see in my mac network scanning list, arduino in AP mode?

tnx

federicofissore

sonique

Yes,  :P I'm sorry.....I'll try to explain better .. I mean the symbol of WIFI in upper bar. When you click on that symbol, it shows the WIFI that you can connect....

federicofissore

Ah ok, so it shouldn't be but it's almost normal. Much depends on the mac software and how often it's scanning the network for newly available wifis. My ubuntu often takes minutes, so, since I usually use wired network, when I'm in a hurry I disable and re-enable wifi: this causes a fresh scan and the yun shows up

sonique

Mmmmmmm..... :smiley-roll:

Scan and re-scan, enable and disable but, when Arduino is in WIFI mode connected to my Router, there is no way to show it in AP mode.  =(

But, it's not a problem because I can programm wirelessy quietly without any problem.

Please take my curiosity, but if I connect my MAC to Arduino in AP mode e Arduino is connect to my wireless, can I go out in internet through my Arduino? In theory it should be yes.

federicofissore

If your yun is in wifi client mode connected to your wifi router (is that what you meant?), you won't never see it listed as an access point (you won't see wifi Arduino Yun-XXX..) because it's not acting as an access point
Therefore you cannot connect your mac to Yun in AP mode if yun is connected to your wireless, because yun is not in AP mode

sonique

Ok, now is clear.

It's, basically, what I said before: When Arduino is connected to my WiFi I can't see it in MAC's WiFi network list (AP mode)  ]:)

nightknight

sorry to dig up an old topic.
can you, though, force both? can you make the Yun act as an Access Point while connected to your home router, for example, through the ethernet? also, since the board is running an operating system, can it establish two instances of WiFi connection, one as the client and the other as the server? What I need is to have Yun stream sensor signals to a home computer, while my mobile phone can detect the Yun's WiFi signal strength to estimate the distance (everything under the same local network).

sonnyyu

What I need is to have Yun stream sensor signals to a home computer, while my mobile phone can detect the Yun's WiFi signal strength to estimate the distance (everything under the same local network).

Using WiFi signal strength to estimate the distance is tough mission.

Bluetooth low energy/Bluetooth 4.0 build in Proximity sensing.

Proximity sensing:

Relevant application profiles include:

• FMP -- the "find me" profile -- allows one device to issue an alert on a second misplaced device.

• PXP -- the proximity profile -- allows a proximity monitor to detect whether a proximity reporter is within a close range. Physical proximity can be estimated using the radio receiver's RSSI value, although this does not have absolute calibration of distances. Typically, an alarm may be sounded when the distance between the devices exceeds a set threshold.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=219682.msg1601424#msg1601424

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_low_energy

Go Up