Go Down

Topic: Need some guidance on finishing this enclosure (Read 2158 times) previous topic - next topic

giants_fan3

Oct 09, 2013, 06:31 pm Last Edit: Oct 10, 2013, 09:33 pm by giantsfan3 Reason: 1
I am making a couple of enclosures for my two boards, which will perform different functions, but sit next to each other.
I want the boxes to be attached/detached easily to each other along one face.

I've already done the Attachment half of it.
For the attachment mechanism, I came up with this method, inspired by my TV remote control:
- Plastic hooks/inserts on the side faces of one enclosure (male)
- Cutouts/holes on the other enclosure (female).
- Thus, the asymmetric hooks slide into the cutouts and then are blocked from getting out.

But now how can I modify the box design to also make it detachable?
In other words: Once the hooks get into the cutouts, how can I make them come out?

CrossRoads

Flip them 180 degrees, put little push button on the outside that can be pushed in to move the hook off the wall to disengage.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

giants_fan3

That works! There probably isn't a simpler way either.

ashtonmehrle

I would love to see some pictures of this enclosure if you could post them. I am looking into doing something similar.

giants_fan3

I would love to see some pictures of this enclosure if you could post them. I am looking into doing something similar.

Not done yet. Planning to 3D print it!

ashtonmehrle

Very cool, May I ask what 3D printer you are using along with what software you used to design it?

giants_fan3

3D Printer: Ultimaker (at my local hackerspace).
Software: ViaCAD and Sketchup, as well as a couple of rendering plugins.

ashtonmehrle

Very cool. Looking for a maker/hacker space in my area but none found yet :(

giants_fan3

polymorph

If you are anywhere Olympia, WA, we have a Mendel and a Mendel Max at OlyMEGA, and we're having a 3D Printer Show-Off this Saturday. Some of our members are bringing in our personal 3D printers, too. I have an Ultimaker.
Steve Greenfield AE7HD
Drawing Schematics: tinyurl.com/23mo9pf - tinyurl.com/o97ysyx - https://tinyurl.com/Technote8
Multitasking: forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=223286.0
gammon.com.au/blink - gammon.com.au/serial - gammon.com.au/interrupts

Paul__B

Go Up