Go Down

Topic: Pro Mini: disabling voltage regulator (Read 6051 times) previous topic - next topic

jtlns

Hi all,

I'm running an (knockoff) Arduino Pro Mini on 3 AA batteries. Of course my goal is to have the Pro Mini running as long as possible on those batteries. With the help of the Rocket Scream Low Power library (http://www.rocketscream.com/blog/2011/07/04/lightweight-low-power-arduino-library/), the board consumes around 10mA (when sleeping).

I've learned the voltage regulator is mainly to blame (I have a barebone Arduino running at less then 1mA when sleeping). So my question is: how can I get rid of the voltage regulator? In attach I have a picture of the Pro Mini, I've circled the component which I think is the regulator. Can I just remove it from the board? (de-solder it, or cut the legs?)

Thanks!!!
Jan

Paul__B

You have of course disabled the power LED?

jtlns

Yes, but I understood the regulator consumes much more than the (very small) power led.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Grumpy_Mike

Yes, but I understood the regulator consumes much more than the (very small) power led.

You do not understand correctly then.

jtlns

Ok, I stand corrected then. :-)
But I'm still interested to get rid of the regulator. :-)

Grumpy_Mike

So snip it out or unsolder it.
However, you have to ensure that your input voltage does not exceed the maximum chip voltage somehow.

PeterH

I would have thought that if you connect your supply to Vcc then the regulator would be unused and take no power. The regulator is only used if you supply it via the RAW pin. It seems pointless (and risks damaging the board for no purpose) to remove a component that is taking no power.

Paul__B

I would have thought that if you connect your supply to Vcc then the regulator would be unused and take no power. The regulator is only used if you supply it via the RAW pin. It seems pointless (and risks damaging the board for no purpose) to remove a component that is taking no power.

What we all think but - he is keen to get rid of it for some reason ...

Go Up