Go Down

Topic: Mega2560 Error: ...relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL ... (Read 8127 times) previous topic - next topic

UdoZucker

I am using a Mega2560 with ERW 1.0.1f. My sketch is approx 51k, SRAM used approx.3.5k. In order to save SRAM I am using extensively sprintf_P and Serial.print(F(. It seems that my sketch has now grown to a size that the compiler/linker cannot longer handle it. Whenever I add code, I get the following error:

c:/program files (x86)/arduino/arduino erw 1.0.1f/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.3/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o: In function `__vector_default':
(.vectors+0x88): relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL against symbol `__vector_34' defined in .text section in c:/program files (x86)/arduino/arduino erw 1.0.1f/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.3/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o

In order to work around this error I am converting sprintf_P into sprintf and Serial.print(F( in ordinary Serial.print(). The downside is that my SRAM usage is growing. Furthermore this work-around isn't very successful in the long term as I will long have run out of SRAM before I have used up a more significant share of the program memory.

I have seen similar error messages reported with the other boards. I have also seen the recommendation to use the latest WINAVR /avrdude.conf (I tried this and it made no difference)

Does somebody know how I can overcome this restriction? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

dxw00d

UdoZucker

There is no difference between using the standard IDE and the "enhanced". In actual fact, but I might not have observed that correctly, the standard IDE started to show this error a little earlier (meaning when my sketch was slightly smaller. In other words, when the error first appeared and I realised that replacing PSTR based commands into SRAM based onces, I checked with the normal IDE. The error appeared- and I think it did even with the version I had just "repaired" to work with the enhanced version. In any case, the error is with both.

UdoZucker

Thanks for this reference. I will try it and report back..

Paul_Tonkes

I have the Same problem. It occurs if I make some innocent modifications in my code, for example if I replace some text like...
Code: [Select]

prog_char PROGMEM Cmd_073[]="HTTPServerPort";

..in..

prog_char PROGMEM Cmd_073[]="PortInput";

The following error occures:

c:/program files (x86)/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o: In function `__vector_default':
(.vectors+0x7c): relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL against symbol `__vector_31' defined in .text section in c:/program files (x86)/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o

My code is only 77Kbyte.
Arduino version=1.0.1, Windows-7, Board=ATMega2560

ClintonKeith

I have the Same problem. It occurs if I make some innocent modifications in my code, for example if I replace some text like...

prog_char PROGMEM Cmd_073[]="HTTPServerPort";

..in..

prog_char PROGMEM Cmd_073[]="PortInput";

The following error occures:

c:/program files (x86)/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o: In function `__vector_default':
(.vectors+0x7c): relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL against symbol `__vector_31' defined in .text section in c:/program files (x86)/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o

My code is only 77Kbyte.
Arduino version=1.0.1, Windows-7, Board=ATMega2560

This was similar to the problem/solution I found.  Once I located the offending line, I changed the length of the string and it compiled.  (note: I hate this type of fix!)

adgrex

Build your own IDE with removed lines:

https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/blob/ide-1.5.x/app/src/processing/app/debug/Compiler.java

if (prefs.get("build.mcu").equals("atmega2560"))
     optRelax = ",--relax";

This solved this problem:
c:/users/gregor/desktop/arduino/arduino-1.5.4-r2-windows/arduino-1.5.4/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o: In function `__vector_default':
(.vectors+0x28): relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL against symbol `__vector_10' defined in .text section in c:/users/gregor/desktop/arduino/arduino-1.5.4-r2-windows/arduino-1.5.4/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o

But the best solution is:
Add to global area:
#include <avr/pgmspace.h>
const char pad[500] PROGMEM = { 0 };

and add this to the fist line of setup:
pad[0];

See:
http://forum.arduino.cc//index.php?topic=140108.msg1440380#msg1440380
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8188849/avr-linker-error-relocation-truncated-to-fit

Go Up