ATMEL ATMEGA128 Board for ARDUINO ?

Hoi friends,

i "found" an unused ATMEL board in one of my boxes :smiley:
Can i use that as an ARDUINO when programming a boatloader or so ?

Its the same as this one:
![](http://i.ebayimg.com/t/ATmega128-M128-AVR-development-board-minimum-system-New-/00/s/MzQxWDUwMA==/$(KGrHqJHJEUFCZh0wR4SBQrIvuU1KQ~~60_12.JPG)

Can i use that as an ARDUINO when programming a bootloader or so ?

Looking to your board there is a ISP header.This is all you need to program the board.You could burn the bootloader on it but in my opinion it will be total unnecessary.Burning the bootloader on it will then require some FTDI232RL interface and parts do provoke the reset when you try to send a new program.
If you don't have an external ISP programmer buy one on ebay. They are very cheap (about 3 € you get one)
In arduino IDE all you need is confirm the target CPU and upload programs using File->Upload Using External Programmer
In the photo I can't see very well what is the atmega chip

Thx for your reply.
The chip is an ATMEGA128.

I have as USBASP interface with which i coded the ATMEL boards

The chip is an ATMEGA128.

I have as USBASP interface with which i coded the ATMEL boards

Great then you have all you need to program it
Try upload the Blink sketch on it.
I notice your board has a cristal of 8MHz.This means you may need to change inside boards.txt that.Also see if you dont get a signature warning when try to program it( it may will stop you upload because chip signature,- easy to fix :slight_smile: )

I tried uploading before i asked here :wink:
But i dont know what i have to set in the Tools-Section of the IDE (Board and Port and Programmer)

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

is the error code when i use Uploading with Programmer )Setting USBASP in Tools) and Board set to MEGA (2560 or 1280) or...

Edit: i followed the hints on this page http://arduinoexplained.blogspot.de/2012/03/custom-board-programming-on-arduino-10.html and modified the boards.txt with the described parts.

But now the follwoing error occurs:

Error while uploading: missing 'upload tool' configuration parameter

Arduino: 1.5.4 (Windows Vista), Board: "Custom Breakout Board (ATmega128)"

Sketch uses 1.124 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 126.976 bytes.

Global variables use 11 bytes of dynamic memory.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

To use a Atmega128 with the Arduino-IDE you need the core files for this controller. There is a Crumbuino with the Mega128: http://www.chip45.com/products/crumbuino-128_arduino_kompatibel_atmega128_modul_board_usb.php
Let us know, if it works! :wink:

Nice device - but i don't want to buy something new (i have several MEGAs laying around here) but using the shown ATMEL board.
As HugoPT says, its possible and i am a bit further then at the last post - but still the same error occurs.

Next time I'll try to explain it better. (Oder auf Deutsch) There a link for the core files, you can download and copy the files to your hardware folder. Next time you start the IDE, there will be an entry for the Mega128, called Crumbuino or something like that.

Aahhh, soory for the missunderstanding (2 germans in english 8))
I will have a look again - i did already 'cause i mentioned something like that and downloaded the chip45....-zip already, but didnt really know what exactly to do.

NOW i will have a closer look to that (some install.txt would be there) 'cause it seems i got the right file and will come back with some results ( i hope) :smiley:

Here we go again:

i inserted the new folders and files from the zip to the AVR directory in the IDE-path.
After starting up some Crumbuinos appears in addition.
So i choosed the one with Atmega128 and startet uopload with programmer (still USBASP is still set) and....the same error (as written in the previous post) appears:

Arduino: 1.5.4 (Windows Vista), Board: "Crumbuino-128 w/ ATmega128"

Sketch uses 1.272 bytes (1%) of program storage space. Maximum is 126.976 bytes.

Global variables use 11 bytes of dynamic memory.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

This appears in whote in the compiler.

In the ornage bar still the same text appears:
Error while uploading: missing 'uload.tool' configuration parameter =(

I don't have such an Atmega128-board, but I tested the core files in the Arduino IDE 1.0.5. It seems to be working, as far I can say. I tried to verify an example sketch and there was no error. Maybe thats a problem with the 1.5.4 beta version.

Are there enhanced hints, when you activate the "verbose output" in the preferences?

No, no more hints or so.
i just updated my borads.txt with the following line (in case of this upload.tool error) like this:

##############################################################
atmega128.name=Custom Breakout Board (ATmega128)
atmega128.upload.using=usbasp
atmega128.upload.tool=usbasp
atmega128.upload.maximum_size=126976
atmega128.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF
atmega128.bootloader.high_fuses=0xCA
atmega128.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xFF
atmega128.bootloader.path=atmega
atmega128.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega128.hex
atmega128.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
atmega128.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
atmega128.build.mcu=atmega128
atmega128.build.f_cpu=16000000L
atmega128.build.core=arduino
atmega128.build.variant=standard

Now the compilation run through without any (offical) error code, but his appears in orange in the monitor box:

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.

I tried both USBaps-programmers (i have 2 different) with the BASCOM iDE and this board: both work fine...

on my boards.txt i use this;

atmega128B.name=Custom ATmega 128 Breakout Board using FTDI
atmega128B.upload.tool=avrdude
atmega128B.upload.protocol=arduino
atmega128B.upload.speed=57600
atmega128B.upload.maximum_size=126976
atmega128B.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF
atmega128B.bootloader.high_fuses=0xCA
atmega128B.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xFF
atmega128B.bootloader.path=atmega
atmega128B.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega128.hex
atmega128B.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
atmega128B.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
atmega128B.build.mcu=atmega128
atmega128B.build.f_cpu=16000000L
atmega128B.build.core=custom128
atmega128B.build.variant=atmega128

you could try and check some info on this link http://arduinoexplained.blogspot.com/2012/03/custom-board-programming-on-arduino-10.html

regards

Thx fpr your reply - i "came" from that given page 'cause don't know how to....
i choosed the correct board and as the programmer USBASP.

Then i tried to upload with (Menue) UPLOAD WITH PROGRAMMER....

With your config the follwoing error occurs after trying to upload the blink sketch:

pinMode(led, OUTPUT);

OUTPUT was not declared in this scope

So, i think there is somethiong more to do ?

Look at this line:

• atmega128.build.f_cpu=16000000L*

You said your board runs at 8 MHz.
Consider changing the line above to:

• atmega128.build.f_cpu=8000000L*

I just have placed an order for an ATMEGA128 and I'll get it in a couple of weeks.
I'll let you all know what are the results if there is anyone interested in.

Best regards,
Tomi

@tomidrnis,
Check the dates on topics you reply to. This one has been inactive for over a year.

Where are you that it takes a couple of weeks to get parts?