Go Down

Topic: WS2801 RGB String - Red Only - B & G Unlit (Read 6248 times) previous topic - next topic

arduinodlb

Do not IM me. I will not respond. Ask questions in the forum.

Paul__B

WS2811:

WS2811 Datasheet.

WS2801 Datasheet

It does indeed appear that the 2811 can be used at 12V, but note carefully the specification in the datasheet for the dropping resistor which is required to do so.  In the absence of this resistor - as in the Neopixels, it should only be driven at 5V.

And the 2801 is in fact, a two-wire interface - two in, two out - whilst the 2811 is one-wire - one in and one out.

arduinodlb

Nov 10, 2013, 08:12 am Last Edit: Nov 10, 2013, 08:17 am by arduinodlb Reason: 1
Paul, stop deliberately confusing the issue. Your previous post about the WS2811 requiring 4 wires was just plain wrong.

See how you go if you just connect up either only 1 wire to the 2811 or only 2 wires to the WS2801. Good luck with that.

The WS2801 requires 4 wires, with pinouts as I described previously. The WS2811 requires 3. When buying off amazon, you need to be careful that the images agree with the description when buying.

In future, please don't correct my posts unless you are correct.

Paul__B

Paul, stop deliberately confusing the issue. Your previous post about the WS2811 requiring 4 wires was just plain wrong.

No, not confusing the issue, and - not wrong.  just providing as much reference information as possible.

It's all a matter of viewpoint.  My original comment was that each LED with its WS2811 driver - as in the above illustration - has four connections (allowing that VDD in that particular assembly is duplicated) given that it is part of a chain.  I was thinking - and commenting - in those terms whereas you were clearly and entirely correctly thinking in terms of the ribbon cable between LED assemblies as it relates to what may be illustrated in eBay items.

In fact - I was not "correcting" you.  What you explained was correct - as was what I explained.  It's just a matter of which way you are looking at it.

arduinodlb

Nov 15, 2013, 10:44 pm Last Edit: Nov 15, 2013, 11:03 pm by arduinodlb Reason: 1
Really, you want to resurrect this thread?

No, you corrected me, incorrectly. I realise you are having trouble reading, but talk about obfuscation of the facts:

but in the photos there were only 3 wires to each LED, which makes them WS2811.

Don't you mean four wires?   Vcc, Ground, in and out.

Stop trying to justify your mistakes quick-draw McGraw. Man up Princess.

And you know, even that didn't worry me greatly, but then you persisted with it, with your italics and all. And now you bother to resurrect it? Wow. Just sad.

All I ask is that in future, you don't disrespect me or anyone else in these forums, and I will do the same for you. Sound reasonable?

Go Up