Go Down

Topic: Where can I find transformers for a tesla coil or jacobs ladder? (Read 758 times) previous topic - next topic

carl1864

I don't know if I'm just looking in the wrong places or what, but I am having a really hard time finding a transformer to use for a jacobs ladder or tesla coil.

I understand typically a neon sign transformer is used, roughly in the 15KVA range, and roughly 50-100ma range.  And supposedly it must be one without GFI protection, and supposedly most of the newer ones have this.

So does that leave the only option to somehow find or salvage old used ones?  Closest I've found is looking on ebay, and the selection is small, and the ones I do see are around $150-$250 for an old used transformer.  Is this my only option (besides the more complex solid state tesla coils), or is there some other good source or type of transformer I'm missing?

fungus

I don't know if I'm just looking in the wrong places or what, but I am having a really hard time finding a transformer to use for a jacobs ladder or tesla coil.

Have you asked in forums where people build that sort of thing?

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

jackrae

I simply googled Tesla Coil Forum and opened up a whole new world of information
Try this for starters http://www.teslauniverse.com/community/forums

Go Up