Arduino Robot - wheels won't grip

I've just started using my new Arduino robot, and am finding that the wheels are unable to grip on any surface. I've tried it on wood, lino, concrete, carpet. On all of them the wheels spin most of the time rather than gripping and driving the robot along. When they do grip they don't do so evenly and the robot moves in curves rather than straight lines. The wheels do appear to have a rubber rim on them so I'm mystified as to why this is happening.

Any insight/suggestions would be appreciated.

Picture's would really,really help here.
Plus other things like applied voltage,motor driver type,manufacturer..

It's Arduino's own robot - http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Robot. I'm not too sure what motor types it uses - although I'd have expected them to build in an appropriate one... Would a video of it not working be useful?

Chris1448:
Picture's would really,really help here.
Plus other things like applied voltage,motor driver type,manufacturer..

It's Arduino's own robot

This is, after all, the Arduino Robot section of the forum, Chris 8)

Hi, does the control of your motors include speed, too much speed will literally rip the wheels away from any surface it is trying to get traction on, ie like a dragster.
Try slower speed and that should help get traction.
Can you post a copy of your sketch that you are using?

Tom.... :slight_smile:

JimboZA:
This is, after all, the Arduino Robot section of the forum, Chris 8)

My bad... I was watching FOX when I dreamed that up. :drooling_face:

Wheels slipping..laminate flooring ,waxed floors..
or just as TomGeorge mentioned.. the wheels are being over powered.

Looking at the product page pics, although the wheels seem to have tread, they are more of a shiny plastic than rubber? Maybe you could try rough them up with sandpaper, or stretch an elastic band round each one?

You probably could add some traction to the wheels by coating the wheel treads with the below rubber cement (it is easy to remove). When dry the cement is soft and a high coefficient of friction. You could do the same gluing on strips of the below shelf liner making soft gripping treads for the wheels.

http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Shelf-Drawer-Liner-Black/dp/B000KFSOFI

I am going to hazard a guess and say that maybe the casters are lifting the wheels off the surface.

I am going to hazard a guess and say that maybe the casters are lifting the wheels off the surface.

The castors should not be both on the ground at the same time. Take a carefull look.

Slipping on concrete? That is odd. Maybe the wheels are mounted too high. The batteries should supply enough weight but you can always add a bit more ballast.