Go Down

Topic: LED array + wifi ? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

GAZ082

Hi there!

I'd like to get started with PLC programming and general electronic tinkering. I just soldered a RAMPS interface board for an Arduino MEGA (3d printing) and lost my fear of soldering, now i want to get my hands dirty!

I bought these LED matrix:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-Dot-Matrix-Display-3-7mm-8x8-38mmx38mm-Red-Common-Cathode-or-Common-Anode-16-pin/801637813.html

They are 4 units of 8x8. I'd like to make a LED banner of 8x32 where i can upload any piece of text via WIFI. I have NO CLUE where to start. Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot!

arduinodlb

Search through the forum. There's lots of discussions of these types of things.
Do not IM me. I will not respond. Ask questions in the forum.

PaulRB

Nov 19, 2013, 07:57 am Last Edit: Nov 19, 2013, 08:00 am by PaulRB Reason: 1
The easiest way to control those matrices is probably to use four max7219. These cost around $10 each, but you can buy "clones" on eBay for around $2 each but there is a (small, it would seem) risk they won't work reliably.

I will be interested what solution you come up with for the WiFi part, this interests me too.

Paul

fungus

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-Dot-Matrix-Display-3-7mm-8x8-38mmx38mm-Red-Common-Cathode-or-Common-Anode-16-pin/801637813.html

"Full color - Red!" LOL.

They are 4 units of 8x8. I'd like to make a LED banner of 8x32 where i can upload any piece of text via WIFI. I have NO CLUE where to start. Any suggestion?

WiFi will be very difficult to do (although there's the new Arduino Yun which is supposed to make it much easier). Bluetooth will be incredibly simple (up to about 10m range).

Your choice...
Advanced Arduino

Paul__B

Oh dear!  You should have bought them as the kit with the MAX7219 driver and PCB.  It's pretty much a waste of time using them any other way.

Plenty of sketches to work with including the "Parola" project for a "Times Square" (scrolling banner) display.

As to the WiFi - well, you need to practice getting single- purpose exercise scripts working first for each device you wish to use, then figure out how to put them together.  That will keep you busy.   :)

fungus

Oh dear!  You should have bought them as the kit with the MAX7219 driver and PCB.  It's pretty much a waste of time using them any other way.

LOL!

A fact of life in these forums is that people only come here after they've bought something and are stuck.

PS: Yes, a good idea would be to buy those other ones. You can figure out a use for the bare matrices when you have more experience
Advanced Arduino

Go Up