Go Down

Topic: Has anyone ever used this display? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

tripphippie

I just got my 18050-OP from http://www.mpja.com/LED-10-X-12-Unique-Display/productinfo/18050%20OP/
Has anyone ever had any experience with this particular display. It is 10x12 red,yellow,green and I'm not even sure how there can be enough pins for that. I haven't hooked it up to power yet so I will begin experimenting with it probably this evening.
So part of my question is how to drive the thing. I have 3 16-channel led-sink drivers (TLC5940) and 3 8-bit shift registers (TPIC6C596). Not really sure how to hook up and drive these as this is my first matrix display project.

I'm horrible at reading electrical diagrams and data-sheets but I am slowly getting better. I come from a software engineering background and recently got into hobby electronics/arduino, so many of the electrical concepts are new to me.

Any advice on how to hook this up from some seasoned hackers?

CrossRoads

Ugh, what a horrible data sheet.
You need different hardware - both TLC5940 and TPIC6C596 are current sinks.
You need something to source current.
I suggest cd74AC164 to drive the row pins.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CD74AC164E/296-4235-5-ND/375630

I don't read the display as being very bright,  just 3-5mCd at 20mA, so TLC5940 might be overkill here.
Use two '164s on the Row pins with current limit resistors to source current, two 6C596s on the column pins to sink current.
Set up the anodes, turn on a cathode, hold for 1-2mS, turn off;
set up the anodes, turn on next cathode, hold, turn off;
continue for all 10 columns.
Just so you know - the display is not RGB - its all green, with 4 red and 3 yellow blocks.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

tripphippie

I agree it is a horrible datasheet. That is actually why I posted in the first place.
That is disappointing that is is all green. Explains why I didn't think there was enough pins, there isn't for 3 color.
Check out this project using 5 of these displays.
http://projects.worsleyassociates.com/600_LED_Display/index.html

So I need a current source driver? I will see what I can sample from TI. I'm building a talking robot. The basic idea is this.

Ping sensor + display (eyes and face)
Ginsing Sound shield (voice)
Seeed Shield Bot (body)
Arduino (brain)

It will do basic echolocation based object avoidance and recite dirty limericks.

fungus

I agree it is a horrible datasheet. That is actually why I posted in the first place.
That is disappointing that is is all green. Explains why I didn't think there was enough pins, there isn't for 3 color.

What gave you the impression is was 3 color? The advert and datasheet both clearly say it isn't. It's green with some red and yellow LEDs built in. I imagine it's for use with an overlay with text on it.

How to wire it? Exactly the same as any other LED matrix.

It's actually two 12x5 matrices joined together (cathodes wired together).
Advanced Arduino

tripphippie

What gave you the impression is was 3 color?

I missed this part of the advert
Colors as shown.

Other than that it is very vague and the datasheets sucks. I think any noob can understand my confusion.

Go Up