Go Down

Topic: Trouble uploading from MacBook Pro to Arduino (Read 2095 times) previous topic - next topic

Leebee

I am new to using Arduino and to programming.  My Mac is running OSX 10.8.5. 

When I try to upload, I get the following error message:
Binary sketch size: 1,084 bytes (of a 14,336 byte maximum)
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

I have selected port "/dev/tty.usbserial/A901JPX5"

I have found that other people using Macs get the same error message and have tried connecting the Arduino to the usb port on the keyboard, instead of directly to the Mac (as they suggested).  I still get the same error message.  I have tried the Arduino on my husband's Windows PC and it works perfectly.  Problem is that I need it to work on the Macs as I am an educator and this is the operating system we have at school.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hugo007

same error message and have tried connecting the Arduino to the usb port on the keyboard, instead of directly to the Mac (as they suggested).

I don't get this
What arduino version do you have?
Did you had drivers installed(This will depend on your arduino hardware version)
I have a Mega 2560 and to use it in my mac (Using mavericks) I don't need install drivers, but to use my Duemilanove I need to install FTDI drivers to get recognised.

Debian,Mint,Ubuntu
Arduino Mega 2560
Arduino Nano
Arduino Duemilanove
MAC OS Montain Lion
Raspberry PI Model B

nickgammon

I use OS/X all the time (10.7.5) and rarely have problems. I even connect via a USB hub.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info: http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Leebee

I have an Arduino Uno - not sure if that's what you're asking.  I downloaded the FTDI driver for my operating system and updated Java.

The above message is the message I get when I hold down shift.  If I don't hold down shift, I get the following (there is nothing else using the port):

"Binary sketch size: 1,076 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
processing.app.SerialException: Serial port '/dev/tty.usbserial-A901JXP5' already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.
   at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:171)
   at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:77)
   at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:77)
   at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:175)
   at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)
   at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1671)
   at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1627)
   at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1599)
   at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2380)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:695)
processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Serial port '/dev/tty.usbserial-A901JXP5' already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.
   at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:101)
   at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:175)
   at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)
   at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1671)
   at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1627)
   at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1599)
   at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2380)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:695)"

nickgammon

Which version of the Arduino IDE do you have?

Code: [Select]

at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:171)

That looks like Processing, not Arduino.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info: http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Leebee

bamboola

I have had this problem, often after un-connecting and reconnecting the USB cable. There is no eject function for an Arduino. The problem was solved by adding a powered USB hub between the MAC and the Arduino. Power down the hub to either connect or disconnect the Arduino. I have not seen the problem since.

Go Up