Go Down

Topic: INTERPRETING ATmega328 DATASHEET (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

raschemmel

I'm trying to learn how to use interrupts with the Arduino UNO so I looked at the ATmega328 datasheet and found
register memory map with lots of register names but could not find a glossary explaining their function. Is that in
some other document ? How does anyone know what those abbreviations mean ?

westfw

The registers are explained in the chapters that describe the individual peripherals; the summary shows you the overall address space layout with ALL the registers.

(Oh - get the "Complete" datasheet, and not the "summary" datasheet.  http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-8271-8-bit-AVR-Microcontroller-ATmega48A-48PA-88A-88PA-168A-168PA-328-328P_datasheet.pdf )

raschemmel

YEAH ! That's what I'm talking about !
Are the "Summary" and "Complete" pdf's named as such ? (how can you tell it's the complete one ?)
Thanks for the info and link.

westfw

they are labeled that way if you access them via the "Documentation" tabs on the respective Atmel device web pages.
Unfotunately, if you just do a web search for something like "atmega328 datasheet", you probably get a bunch of hits from the various 3rd party "datasheet archive" providers, that are not nearly so well identified.  I recommend always going to the manufacturer first, and navigating their webpage hierarchy, before doing general web searches.  (Also, you acquire an appreciation for manufacturers that have easy-to-navigate websites, better custom searches, and pay more attention to generic search site seeding.  I'm always amazed when searching for something like "PIC18f4455" at google turns up THE relevant microchip product page a the first choice.)

(It looks like Atmel is currently revamping their documentation, and the "summary" datasheet is now named http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-8271-8-bit-AVR-Microcontroller-ATmega48A-48PA-88A-88PA-168A-168PA-328-328P_datasheet_Summary.pdf
(which is really good.  Previously, it would have been named "doc8161.pdf" !))

raschemmel

Go Up