Go Down

Topic: Fedora Linux - Serial Port option grayed out in Arduino 1.5.5 (Read 3686 times) previous topic - next topic

Strontium

Nov 29, 2013, 07:36 pm Last Edit: Nov 29, 2013, 07:40 pm by Strontium Reason: 1
Yes, I have googled around for the answer. I even checked this forum (I got a result, but it didn't work).

First of all, I am using Fedora 19, and using Arduino version 1.5.5. When I use the IDE, though, I cannot select my serial port.

To complicate matters further, I could not figure out how to properly install the Arduino IDE, so I have been running it with terminal like this:
Code: [Select]
bash '/home/Mackie/Documents/arduino-1.5.5/arduino'
Which gave my this error:
check_group_uucp(): error testing lock file creation Error details:Permission deniedcheck_lock_status: No permission to create lock file.
please see: How can I use Lock Files with rxtx? in INSTALL
check_group_uucp(): error testing lock file creation Error details:Permission deniedcheck_lock_status: No permission to create lock file.
please see: How can I use Lock Files with rxtx? in INSTALL

And, of course, the Serial Port option in Tools was grayed out. So I tried executing it with terminal again, only this time using SUDO:
[Mackie@localhost ~]$ sudo bash '/home/Mackie/Documents/arduino-1.5.5/arduino'
Experimental:  JNI_OnLoad called.
Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7

All fine and dandy in the terminal! Now lets see if I can use the serial port. Oh, I can't how sad.

I have tried to follow other tutorials/guides/whatever to fix this with no luck. Here is what my groups look like according to my user manager:
Mackie (thats my username, I don't know why it is there)
dialout
lock
wheel

So, my two questions are, how can I get the IDE to allow me to use the serial ports and how do I properly install it? (1.5.5 'twas not in the repositories for Fedora)

tf68

These Linux problems are usually with user/group permissions.

ls -l /run  this will show the permissions for lock (and the rest of the stuff in /run)
Like this: drwxrwxrwt  2 root root    40 2013-11-30 11:59 lock
The owner is root and the group is root and the permissions let anybody use lock.

With the arduino plugged in, run  ls -l /dev/ttyACM? and if that gives no result run  ls -l /dev/ttyUSB?
Like this: crw-rw-r-- 1 root plugdev 188, 0 2013-11-30 15:50 /dev/ttyUSB0
The owner is root and the group is plugdev, you need to belong to plugdev to use the port.

Your user manager should let you join the appropriate group(s) if needed.

Another possible solution is to install 1.0.5 from the fedora repositories. That should set the correct permissions. Unless you are running one of the ARM boards, like DUE, you don't need 1.5x. And if you need 1.5 it may work after the 1.0.5 install. They can coexist.

You are using the 1.5 tarball correctly, there is no install, just unzip and run the script.

good luck

Go Up