Go Down

Topic: Controlling 3-phase fan drive with arduino uno (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Becks_jn

Hello.....

I am realy not an expert in programming arduino. So I have a question and hope someone can help me.
I tried to control normal DC-Motors and Stepper-Motors with the arduino uno. That works very well. I used the Exampels.
But know I have to control a 3-phase fan drive (data sheet attached).

I have no idea how I can handle this problem.
How do I connect the Motor to the Arduino?
The Motor has four wires. The red and blue wire are a little bit thicker than the white and purple wire. So I think the red is + and the blue is -. But which one is the PWM wire?
What  does PWM(P) and PWM(0) in the data sheet stand for?

My sketch looks like this..Is this right?
Code: [Select]

const int motorPin = 3;
void setup() {
  pinMode(motorPin, OUTPUT); 
}
void loop(){
  analogWrite(motorPin, 200);
}

I Hope you can help me and sorry for my bad English. It isn't my native language

dc42

Unfortunately, the data sheet that you linked to doesn't provide enough information. Specifically, where you apply the PWM signal, and what sort of drive it needs. I haven't been able to find this information on the web. unless the motor came wtih a manual, I think you will need to contact the manufacturer. My suspicion is that one of the thinner wires is a tacho output (the datasheet mentions this as an option), and one is the PWM input - both probably relative to the negative wire.

The P and O variants sound like different sorts of PWM input. The O variant sounds like a standard 0-10VDC analog control input, with a smoothing filter so that you can use a 10V PWM signal instead. I've come accross this arrangement before. The P variant could be a PWM input designed to be connected to an open-collector or open-drain current sink, like a PWM PC fan, given that the datasheet suggests that the fan will run at maximum speed if it is left open.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

bubarack

if the motor of the fan is a 3phase bldc you need to use a electronic speed control for bldc(the some use in RC models) There is 2 wires for dc power input and there is 3 wires of output witch is connected to the motor, also there is a thin wire witch is the control for the esc, you must conect this wire to the arduino and use the SERVO libary, because servos works on PPM and ESC for BLDC also works on PPM, PWM will not work for 3 phase motor

dc42

if the motor of the fan is a 3phase bldc you need to use a electronic speed control for bldc(the some use in RC models) There is 2 wires for dc power input and there is 3 wires of output witch is connected to the motor, also there is a thin wire witch is the control for the esc, you must conect this wire to the arduino and use the SERVO libary, because servos works on PPM and ESC for BLDC also works on PPM, PWM will not work for 3 phase motor

Tha datasheet that the OP linked to specifically states that this motor accepts a PWM signal. So it must have the 3-phase controller built-in.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Go Up