Go Down

Topic: Unable to Upload to Arduino Robot Control Board (Read 4588 times) previous topic - next topic

pfurth

We recently purchased 12 Arduino Robots for undergraduate C programming projects.  Right out of the box, all of them could be programmed.  One by one, they could no longer be programmed.  This morning, for 11 of the 12 robots, we experienced the following error when uploading an Example Sketch (e.g., MotorTest or Melody).
Code: [Select]
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't
a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?

For the most part, our systems run Windows 7.  We are using Arduino IDE 1.0.5.0.  All drivers are installed and working.  We have tried several solutions suggested in other similar posts for the Leonardo board, including changing COM ports, de-installing and re-installing the COM port drivers, holding the reset button down during compile (until "Uploading..." appears). 

Today, nine of the robots re-emerged functional when programmed from a MACPro OSX 10.9 with IDE 1.0.5.0 and holding the reset button during compile.  But there remain 2 robots that are unusable.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this problem?  Is there a more robust solution?

I'm including a verbose Upload after compiling MotorTest.  It goes like this:
Binary sketch size: 19,296 bytes (of a 28,672 byte maximum)
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM3
PORTS {COM1, COM3, } / {COM1, COM3, } => {}
PORTS {COM1, COM3, } / {COM1, } => {}
PORTS {COM1, } / {COM1, COM3, } => {COM3, }
Found Leonardo upload port: COM3
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -P\\.\COM3 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\pfurth\AppData\Local\Temp\build961056409088362809.tmp\MotorTest.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 19:38:36
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : \\.\COM3
         Using Programmer              : avr109
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
         AVR Part                      : ATmega32U4
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PA0
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    10     8    0 no       1024    8      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : butterfly
         Description     : Atmel AppNote AVR109 Boot Loader

Connecting to programmer: .avrdude: Send: . [1b]
avrdude: Send: S [53]
avrdude: Recv:

avrdude: Send: V [56]
avrdude: Send: v [76]
avrdude: Send: p [70]
Found programmer: Id = "ÿ("; type = 
    Software Version = E. ; Hardware Version = ð.
avrdude: Send: a [61]
avrdude: Send: b [62]

erzeza

Hi everynoe,

Exactly same problem here, robot worked fine during some inital tests but now I'm unable to upload anything. After compilation it seems to hung up while uploading but finally it throws the following error:

Same thing on both Control and Motor boards, and no solution/workarround worked, resetting has no effect, nor changing programmer, etc. I'm using Arduino IDE now, but I found the problem while trying to use VisuaMicro on Atmel studio

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance,

pfurth

We survived this error.  It's really not fun, because you waste 2 minutes or so until the link times out and the error appears.

The best solution is by far is:
1. Buy a MAC.
2. Tap the reset button twice and then click "upload"
This solution always worked, once we found it.  MACs compile in about a second and then start uploading.

The solutions for PC's were not so consistent.  Try any of the 3 below. 
1. Tap the reset button twice and then click "upload"
2. Hold the reset button down while it says "compiling" and then take it off right when it says "uploading"
3. Tap the reset twice while it says  "compiling", but shortly before it says "uploading"
PC's take a long time (10-15 seconds) during compile and we believe that's the major difference.

naikens

I also received this error message.  I am currently using windows 7, and have an Arduino Micro.

My solution was rather simple:

My programmer was listed as USBtiny, I had tried to program another chip, but forgot to change it back.  Then my serial port was listed as serial 1 despite the fact that my device was listed as port 4. 

I would say double check which port you are connected to in the control panel and change to that port in the serial port selection if you have not already done so.  It might not work for everyone, but it worked for me.

FN510

The solutions for PC's were not so consistent.  Try any of the 3 below. 
1. Tap the reset button twice and then click "upload"
2. Hold the reset button down while it says "compiling" and then take it off right when it says "uploading"
3. Tap the reset twice while it says  "compiling", but shortly before it says "uploading"
PC's take a long time (10-15 seconds) during compile and we believe that's the major difference.

No. 2 worked for me, thanks

hrubix

Solution 3 worked for me. Thanks.

I think caused by to frequent calling the Serial.println() function in main loop without delay.

robotsquirrel

Thanks to this article.
I bought this Arduino Robot and had exactly the same problem.

I currently don't have a MAC, but I have Ubuntu virtual machine and it works fine on Ubuntu as long as you download the Arduino IDE for linux.

I got another problem, the sketches work fine when I plug in the USB cable,
once I unplug the USB cable and turn on the switch,
the robot doesn't work at all.

I don't know if anyone had the same experience? 
Help is greatly appreciated.

:smiley-sad-blue:

Go Up