Catalex MicroSD Card Adapter do I need to level shift

I recently acquired this sd card adapter Recommendations For You - DealeXtreme and was wondering if I need to level shift data lines to 3.3v or is that a built in level shifter on the board (suspect it may be), supposed to be 5v compatible for power (regulated onboard) so presuming I can go vcc to 5v ?
Thanks in advance for any input.

You're right. Connects to 5V arduino without additional components

Thanks knut_ny

These work well when used alone on the SPI bus.

Some modules may not share the SPI bus with other devices since early versions do not release MISO when chip select is high.

I purchased a new version of the Catalex shield and it does make MISO high-Z when chips select is high.

Hello all, I have this exact SD module also from DX. It may have been updated since your post in 2013, mine says its version 1.1, but it looks the same and has the same pins.

I am new to all of this and wondering if anyone would be able to help me, possibly create a circuit diagram for me to help me connect it.

I am using an Arduino Mega in my project, and sadly my digital pins 50, 51, 52 and 53 are already taken, and since i'm using a proto-shield, it would be hard for me to rewire it. Is there any workaround around this?

I could not find any documentation to this SD module either.

Thanks for any pointers!

Tommy

I am using an Arduino Mega in my project, and sadly my digital pins 50, 51, 52 and 53 are already taken, and since i'm using a proto-shield, it would be hard for me to rewire it. Is there any workaround around this?

The Catalex card connects to SPI using the ICSP connector. See the Connections section.

@fat16lib

Ah, I'm sorry. I saw that it is possible to connect it to the digital pins, i seem to have overlooked the SPI.

Thanks for the pointer! Appreciate it!

Looks like this module does not release MISO, I have problem using it with other ISP devices, does anyone knows how to solve it?

MISO is always driven even if chip select is high, a design flaw.

@fat16lib - do you have a recommendation for a non-flawed microSD breakout board?