stereo audio bluetooth module

Hello.

I couldn't find an appropriate section where to post this so sorry if i'm in a wrong place.

I bought this bluetooth module:
http://www.wide.hk/pdf/bluetooth_audio_2x.pdf
http://www.wide.hk/pdf/BT_Stereo.pdf

To begin with anything, I just wanted to turn it on and see if my phone could find it. I connected pin 22 to ground and pin 27 to 3.3v.

As I understood, i then have to connect pin 25 and ground for 2-3 seconds for the module to turn on. correct?

I wasn't able to identify any device with my phone. If anyone has any experience with something like this I would really appreciate it.

Regards

leho57:
Hello.

I couldn't find an appropriate section where to post this so sorry if i'm in a wrong place.

I bought this bluetooth module:
http://www.wide.hk/pdf/bluetooth_audio_2x.pdf
http://www.wide.hk/pdf/BT_Stereo.pdf

To begin with anything, I just wanted to turn it on and see if my phone could find it. I connected pin 22 to ground and pin 27 to 3.3v.

As I understood, i then have to connect pin 25 and ground for 2-3 seconds for the module to turn on. correct?

I wasn't able to identify any device with my phone. If anyone has any experience with something like this I would really appreciate it.

In the BT_Stereo sheet schematic there are four grounds. Are they all connected together? If they are then yes, you can use a single ground point. Otherwise you should connect all of them to ground not just one.

For the ON/OFF function, according to the BT_Stereo schematic, you need to connect a 20K resistor to VBAT (not ground), to turn it on and off.

yes. I didn't look carefully enough. I connected both LED's, GND and Vin pin.. also the button via 20k resistor. LED 0 (blue) blinks constantly, when I click the button (hold 2sec) then it turns off and LED 1(red) lights up for a few seconds and then they both turn off... probably this means the device is switched off. when I press the button again, blue LED starts blinking.

still my phone does not find the device...

edit: yes, all grounds are connected together

leho57:
yes. I didn't look carefully enough. I connected both LED's, GND and Vin pin.. also the button via 20k resistor. LED 0 (blue) blinks constantly, when I click the button (hold 2sec) then it turns off and LED 1(red) lights up for a few seconds and then they both turn off... probably this means the device is switched off. when I press the button again, blue LED starts blinking.

still my phone does not find the device...

edit: yes, all grounds are connected together

According to rather dismal info that WideHK gives (which is pretty much standard for anything from WideHK in my experience with them), if you hold the VREN button for 2-3 seconds, you turn the module on and off.

If you hold the VREN button down for 5-6 seconds, it goes into pairing mode. Doesn't say how long it stays in Pairing mode, but at that point, if you have a phone that's compatible with the Bluetooth spec in this module, then using the phones "pairing" search mode, it should show up in the "device list" on the phone. If not, I'd try getting it working from a computer. They're usually less fickle than a phone.

You might end up reading the chip number, finding the data sheet and figuring out what LED0 and LED1 actually show.

looks like it doesn't matter wheater I hold for 2 sec of 6 sec on the button, chip always acts the same. It either switches power off, or back on and starts blinking the blue LED.

i found datasheet but unfortunatelly it says nothing about the blink signals
http://www.datasheet.in/datasheetdownload.php?id=749317

bluetooth module: 57F68

tried it with every possible ways with computers or phones... nothing :S

What about powering off the whole thing, disconnect it from the power. Apply power back to it, hold down the VREN button for the 5-6 seconds to turn it on and then check it with the phone/computer? Seems odd there's some mystical way to get it to get into pairing mode.

Failing that, I wonder if the support circuitry in the WideHK docs has to be used to perform some initial magic on it at power up, or setting some internal modes.

The one LED seems to just indicate that power is on (they talk about showing charging a battery and using it as the indicator), whereas the other one seems to be for the BT connection itself. But I scanned the docs and didn't see anything about any flashing rates for paired or non-paired.

I've done a lot of work with standard Bluetooth (HC-05's) but never ventured into BT audio.

Judging from some of the other bluetooth audio modules on fleaBay, seems that a good number of them come on breakout shields so you can utilize them easier from the Arduino. That's why I thinking there's some more circuitry required instead of just power.

tried all of it, several times, in different order.. nothing changes.

You would expect the support circuitry to be already premade for this chip. The actual bluetooth receiver/transmitter and audio encoder etc (chip 57F68, black rectangle in the middle of the module) does all the work, right?

so it looks like they built this circuitry around it and some additional logic to control it.. But these are all the datasheets I could find for this module and they do not explain anything more.

I don't believe that it's unable to make a connection because I haven't connected the output signal pins to the speakers/amp or the volume pins...

what are the UART tx ja rx pins for?

PS. instead of 20k resistor on the ON/OFF button, I used 2x 10k-s(5%). As far as I understand, it doesn't matter which way I use it.

Tarvo

leho57:
tried all of it, several times, in different order.. nothing changes.

You would expect the support circuitry to be already premade for this chip. The actual bluetooth receiver/transmitter and audio encoder etc (chip 57F68, black rectangle in the middle of the module) does all the work, right?

so it looks like they built this circuitry around it and some additional logic to control it.. But these are all the datasheets I could find for this module and they do not explain anything more.

I don't believe that it's unable to make a connection because I haven't connected the output signal pins to the speakers/amp or the volume pins...

what are the UART tx ja rx pins for?

PS. instead of 20k resistor on the ON/OFF button, I used 2x 10k-s(5%). As far as I understand, it doesn't matter which way I use it.

Tarvo

Actually, I wouldn't expect the module to be self ready. None of the bare Bluetooth modules I've used are. You either need level converters, power regulators or other ancillary circuitry. Not really just plug and play. Thus in spite of the chip in middle that's doing most of the work for Bluetooth, it still needs the switch to turn it on and off. Plus there is some circuitry on the reset line. It could be that after applying initial power to the unit, that reset line holds a state determined by the resistor and cap timing to allow the chip to initialize properly.

Engineers live in those data sheets and design with nothing more than those. Personally, I've gotten things like this from time to time and they take a lot of patience to work through. I like to see "application notes" in the data sheets but sadly there are none there. So unless someone else has broken ground with one, I tend to avoid being the one to do it.

For the UART and SPI interfaces, my feeling is that you can use them to program how the audio is processed via the Bluetooth. I.e. you can set up parameters of the main decoder chip. That would probably be in the chips data sheet. Hopefully.

2 x 10K in series is the same as 1 x 20K resistor. You're find there.

The docs that say the VREN will power on or off, as well as "auto detect"/"paired" kind of throw me. Why would this module need "auto detect"? Auto detect should be on the host end (cell phone/computer) where they are trying to connect to the "client". It's almost as though this module is a bluetooth host and not a client and that's why you can't connect to it. But then WideHK says, the device will show "Bluetooth_SPK"...

Have you asked the WideHK for an application schematic? I got one of their LCD displays and ended up writing the library for it because they don't have one that works on Arduino 1.0 or newer.

i did asked, couple of days ago. maybe they haven't replied due to weekend, we'll see tomorrow :slight_smile:
but I have a feeling i'm gonna have to buy a proper module not some weird chinese stuff.
As far as I've had any contact with cheap chinese modules, devices, clones - I've never got them to work

leho57:
i did asked, couple of days ago. maybe they haven't replied due to weekend, we'll see tomorrow :slight_smile:
but I have a feeling i'm gonna have to buy a proper module not some weird chinese stuff.
As far as I've had any contact with cheap chinese modules, devices, clones - I've never got them to work

I've used a few of the off shore shields in projects and got them working, but sometimes the listing information is wrong. I just picked up a TFT display that had the wrong data sheet. Took me a while to puzzle that one out (had to take the stupid thing apart to find the processor). I told the seller to update their listing. Nothing changed. Big surprise.

I experimented with a number of GPS, RFID, Bluetooth, and wireless modules. If there's one wireless that I have trouble with its the NRF24L01's. I have no idea why, I can always get them working but it's a royal pain in the rump. So I found some other ones that have a built in UART, as does the GPS, RFID and BT and those are so easy to get working, that I'm will to pay the extra because it saves me time and suffering...LOL

Any way, if you are going to try a different module, let me know what you are thinking about and I'll have a look at it too.

I found another module from my local store. Can anyone tell me is it possible to connect to it without any encryption?
Just connect the power,on/off and ground to get it working and then send audio via my phone and get the output from speakers' pins?

or is there some other magic needed beforehand?

Anything new happening on this project??

not really. I ordered another module which looked promising (RN-52) but it was much smaller in scale and I managed to damage one pin (on/off switch pin :D) so I never knew if it would've worked or not...
then I got busy doing other stuff so this project was put on hold for some time. But I'm planning on ordering another RN-52 module and get it working in near future

i tried 2 of the csr based modules the bc05b and bt57f687 they all work as expected. when you first press the power key module should boot and you will probably see the red led active. in bc05b it activates the bluetooth discovery mode automaticly so you can discover the device as BLK-SPK or something like that. in 57f68 you need to get the device in discovery mode by holding power again. For the both modules when you see the blue led blinking rapidly that is discovery mode. When a connection is established the led will be blinking slower. Now im looking futher to find a way to get the caller id from the module if anyone can help.

hello leho57,
Have you able to make it visible for pairing?
I have some modules using the same chip as yours, and I can not make it visible.

DIY 16mm GX16 Aviation Plug Socket Connector - Free shipping - DealExtreme.

@mindless: have you tried this module? can you give me some ideas on this?