Go Down

Topic: Seeing Yun in IDE Port menu (Read 60124 times) previous topic - next topic

bobli

Hello,

Sometimes when I open the arduino IDE 1.6.4, I can't see the Yun in the Port when I want to upload via wifi.

What I do is that I uninstall the IDE and then reinstall it, and the Yun shows again in the port. Until the next time I turn off y computer.

It's a bit cumbersome and I never had troubles with the previous version of the IDE I was using (don't remeber which release though).

besos
Mongo!

jessemonroy650

Hello,

Sometimes when I open the arduino IDE 1.6.4, I can't see the Yun in the Port when I want to upload via wifi.

::::SNIP::::
@bobli,
I believe you mean the menu item under Tools->Port->(wifi).
It has never work consistently. You can file a bug report. The work-around is to use the USB port or to scp the hex file to linux side and upload it.

On using scp, ShapeShifter has provided some instructions in  this post.

Re: Still can't upload to Yun over network
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=320190.msg2216957#msg2216957

Jesse

dsmalone

Hello all,

I'm an Arduino newbie and have been fighting this problem of the Yun not displaying in the IDE network ports for the past several days.  I think I FINALLY solved it in 3 easy steps.

Step 1:  Goto the Yun configuration screen and click on  "Advanced Configuration Panel 'luci' "   use whatever method can get you there... arduino.local  or the IP address in your browser.....

Step 2:  Next screen has tabs at top STATUS, SYSTEM, NETWORK

Step 3:  Click on NETWORK

In the interface overview you will see your LAN.   Simply click "Connect"

As soon as I did this the Yun immediately appeared in the IDE as a network port.....

Hope this helps....

I'm using a MacBookPro connected to a Time Warner router.... basic setup....

Best,

Dale.

ShapeShifter

In the interface overview you will see your LAN.   Simply click "Connect"

As soon as I did this the Yun immediately appeared in the IDE as a network port.....
Sadly, this accomplishes nothing for me.  :'(

I'd be interested to hear whether this keeps working for you over the long term. I fear this is yet another case of someone figuring out a "breakthrough" to the solution, but one that does not hold up over time. So far, there have been lots of what I think are coincidences that cause it suddenly show up, but as yet, none have proven reliable.

aromring

Yes, I confirm this problem still persists even with the latest Arduino IDE 1.6.5 on a Mac running OS X Yosemite. There are two sources of this problem and, IMHO, we have to separate these for a clearer picture. First, there are those of you for which the proper Port info _never_ shows up in the Tools menu. Yeah, in this case the source of your problem may one (or more) of these:

- not being on the same subnet
- router settings
- firewalls
- antivirus software
- Bonjour service
- etc.

However, I belong to the second group where the Yun does show in the Port submenu _sometimes_, works fine for a while, then disappears for no reason. Clearly, it _works_ (albeit sometimes), so going after any of the reasons listed above would be chasing ghosts and wasting time.

I think we can narrow the second case to either one of these:

- Sometimes Yun "forgets" to broadcast itself
- Sometimes Arduino IDE "forgets" to listen to broadcasts

Here is the workaround that works for me. When Yun disappears from Port submenu, I ran one of these two apps:

- "Fing" on my iPhone
- "My Net" on my Mac

Either of these apps simply scans the local network for hosts. After a few seconds the Yun magically reappears in the Port submenu. No restarts necessary. This, by the way, is in tune with observations reported by dsmalone.

Dear Arduino IDE Developers: please enable manual addition of the Yun IP to the IDE's Port!

ShapeShifter

Dear Arduino IDE Developers: please enable manual addition of the Yun IP to the IDE's Port!
X2!

I'll go one step further: please allow us to enter a list of Yuns and their IP addresses, so that they are all listed on the IDE port menu.

Besides helping with that second scenario (where they sometimes show up and sometimes don't) it will also help in the scenario where they are on a different network segment where zeroconf packets don't pass (like computer on wired Ethernet, and a Yun on WiFi passing through a bridge. )

tomb18

ShapeShifter

Will this EVER get fixed?
While there appears to be no interest in adding the manual configuration option, I have had zero problems detecting the Yun since installing version 1.6.5 of the Arduino IDE. And I was one of the guys who had no end of problems seeing the Yun in earlier versions. I can even reliably connect to the Yun through my WiFi bridge where the Yun is on WiFi and the computer is on Ethernet, something which I could never do before.

sonnyyu

Dec 05, 2015, 12:46 am Last Edit: Dec 05, 2015, 12:46 am by sonnyyu
Will this EVER get fixed?

If IDE wrote by C++ instead of Java, The problem NEVER exist.

tomb18

Yes, I agree. C# as well.
Anyways I solved my problem.  The problem is Apple. And the problem is arduino.  Arduino for using such a fragile solution as Apple's Bonjour.  Apple for continuing to put up a poor development effort for anything Windows.
I knew that the issue was Bonjour.  So I decided to set a break point, then install ITunes.  That installation will also install Bonjour but I have installed Bonjour several times and it never worked.  I found errors for the Bonjour service in the Windows app log so a bit of digging and it appears that iTunes sets up some schedules and adds some dll's that if not present will give this error.
So I decided to install iTunes.  When it had finished, the IDE still had the ports grayed out.  I then did a restore of my restore point.
Well after the restore and reboot of the PC, Bonjour now works with no errors, and the IDE now shows the port of my Arduino YUN.
So, on Windows 10, installing Bonjour does not work on it's own.  Apple has not provided a proper installation.  However, installing iTunes and then uninstalling it will setup bonjour so it works. Shame on Apple and shame on the  makers of Arduino for using Apple software on Windows.

Bogaat

Had this problem forever and stumbled upon this post.  Installed ITunes...YUN/TIAN now show up every time.  Wow.  I guess I should have listened to my daughter who loves Apple...I say sarcastically (I haven't owned one since an Apple 2 in the early eighties).

lsh10142

In my case, the problem was usb cable. Some cable does not have support for opening port.

ShapeShifter

In my case, the problem was usb cable. Some cable does not have support for opening port.
Yes, this can be a problem with some cables, it's a side-effect of devices that use a USB port strictly for battery charging. To save a few pennies per unit, they provide USB cables with these devices that only have the power wires in them, and don't have the two extra wires that carry the data. Such a cable will work for charging, but not not for any communications.

cahyobayu

hi gusy, i have problem with my YUN, the IP addres in port IDE no show, ony Port COM, anybody help?

Go Up