Go Down

Topic: Arduino short circuit after some time (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

mngk

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my Arduino Mega 2560 (and  my Arduino UNO too). When I connect my arduino to the USB or any other power supply, after some time ( about 5 min) I get a short circuit between 5V and GND (or 3.3V and GND) with my multimeter.

I have no idea what is happening =(. Could someone please help me with this problem?

Thanks

cmiyc

How are you measuring a "short circuit with your multimeter"?  What are you measuring and how.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

retrolefty

Do you have anything wired to your board (besides power) when this happens? Does it do it running the example blink sketch with nothing but power wired to the board?

Lefty

mngk

Dec 31, 2013, 01:34 am Last Edit: Dec 31, 2013, 01:41 am by mngk Reason: 1
Hi,

- I'm detecting the short circuit with the beep mode of the multimeter (is there something wrong with it?).
- Nothing is wired to my arduino besides the power supply ( I disconnected everything and I tried three different PCs and other two external power supplies). I didn't try with different sketches, but I will try the blink one and tell you what happenned !

Thanks !

retrolefty

Hi,

- I'm measuring the short circuit with the beep mode of the multimeter (is there something wrong with it?).
- Nothing is wired to my arduino besides the power supply ( I disconnected everything and I tried three different PCs and other two external power supplies). I didn't try with different sketches, but I will try the blink one and tell you what happenned !

Thanks !

The 'beep' function of your DMM is  used in the ohm meter mode. And ohm measurements can never be used while the circuitry being measured is powered on, only after you power off is ohm meter functions valid, even with beep mode on. Your testing method is therefore invalid and misleading you.

Just run the blink sketch and see if it doesn't keep running even after 5 mins.

Lefty

mngk

mngk

It worked as expected. " Live and Learn" I think.  XD

Thanks a lot

Go Up