Go Down

Topic: PLX-DAQ graph arduino in excel (Read 25062 times) previous topic - next topic

graphing

It's still working well with a modern laptop with the Arduino IDE loaded.
On the old windows '98 laptop; it doesn't know what the Arduino is.
Do I need to have the Arduino IDE loaded on a computer so it knows what it is?
Or is there a driver that can be downloaded?
What does  a windows '98 computer see the Arduino as?

Nick_Pyner

I don't think your problem has anything to do with Arduino or the IDE. All that is needed is for PLX to see the incoming data on the serial port, it doesn't care where it came from.

I believe the only thing the IDE can offer is identification of the COM port but I imagine there are other ways of doing that.

There is a possibility that PLX is incompatible with W98 because the signal is coming via USB. You will recall that plug'n'play was largely wishful thinking with W98. There may be a driver available.

miss_Hanin

i have question, my arduino working fine and my plx-daq too. the problem is, there is no output when i connect my arduino and plx-daq. the R part blinking red color which means the arduino and the plx-daq working fine. but still no output show. i'm using excel 2010. here i attached my code. can you help me ?

#include <Wire.h>
#include "RTClib.h"
#define DS32321_ADDRESS 0x68

byte zero = 0x00;
int calibrationTime = 10;
int ledPin = 13;
int inputPin = 2;
int pirState = LOW;
int val = 0;
long unsigned int pause = 5000;
RTC_DS3231 rtc;
char daysOfTheWeek[7][12] = {"Sunday", "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday", "Saturday"};

void setup(){
pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(inputPin, INPUT);
Serial.begin(9600);
#ifndef ESP8266
while (!Serial); // for Leonardo/Micro/Zero
#endif
delay(3000); // wait for console opening
if (! rtc.begin()) {
Serial.println("Couldn't find RTC");
while (1);
}
if (rtc.lostPower()) {
Serial.println("RTC lost power, lets set the time!");
// following line sets the RTC to the date & time this sketch was compiled
rtc.adjust(DateTime(F(__DATE__), F(__TIME__)));
// This line sets the RTC with an explicit date & time, for example to set
// January 21, 2014 at 3am you would call:
// rtc.adjust(DateTime(2014, 1, 21, 3, 0, 0));
}

Serial.println("Calibrating Sensor");
for(int i=0 ; i < calibrationTime; i++){
Serial.print(".");
delay(500);
}
Serial.println(" ");
Serial.println("done");
Serial.println("SENSOR ACTIVE");
delay(50);
}

void loop(){

val = digitalRead(inputPin);
if (val == HIGH){
digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
delay (50);
if (pirState == LOW){
//Serial.println("Motion detected!");
Serial.println("Motion detected at");
//rtc(); //Serial.print(millis()/1000);
//Serial.println("sec");
printDate();
printData();
delay(50);
pirState = HIGH;
}
}
else{
digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
delay(50);
if(pirState == HIGH){
//Serial.println("Motion ended!");
Serial.println("Motion ended at");
//rtc(); //Serial.print((millis() - pause)/1000);
//Serial.println("sec");
printDate();
printData();
delay (50);
pirState = LOW;
}
}
}

void printDate(){
DateTime now = rtc.now();

Serial.print(now.year(), DEC);
Serial.print('/');
Serial.print(now.month(), DEC);
Serial.print('/');
Serial.print(now.day(), DEC);
Serial.print(" (");
Serial.print(daysOfTheWeek[now.dayOfTheWeek()]);
Serial.print(") ");
Serial.print(now.hour(), DEC);
Serial.print(':');
Serial.print(now.minute(), DEC);
Serial.print(':');
Serial.print(now.second(), DEC);
Serial.println();

delay(3000);
}

int value;
 int row = 0;
void printData(){

value=analogRead(inputPin);
 //value=map(value,0,1023,0,255);
 Serial.print("DATA,TIME");
 Serial.println(value);
 row++;
 value++;
Serial.println();
delay(1000);
}

PaulS

which means the arduino and the plx-daq working fine. but still no output show. i'm using excel 2010.
PLX_DAQ does not working with versions of Excel later than 2003, so the first part of the statement is rubbish.
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

Nick_Pyner

the R part blinking red color which means the arduino and the plx-daq working fine. but still no output show.
Clearly, it is not working fine and it only works fine when the data comes through into the Excel screen. The red signal in the "R" simply indicates that the terminal interface is working. Your problem is that Excel cannot handle the data being passed to it. As noted above, you have the wrong version of Excel, and you therefore need to upgrade to Office 2003.

Your code is probably OK, but you can test that by simply sending it to the serial monitor instead. Your printdate srtn is redundant, Excel can do all that, and indeed does.

miss_Hanin

i done down grade my excel to 2003, but still the data did not show. is it true that this software not compatible with windows 10 ? because currently i'm using windows 10. thanks for your advise.  :)

ieee488

Jun 02, 2016, 02:30 am Last Edit: Jun 02, 2016, 02:31 am by ieee488
i done down grade my excel to 2003, but still the data did not show. is it true that this software not compatible with windows 10 ? because currently i'm using windows 10. thanks for your advise.  :)
It wouldn't surprise me that software that is restricted to Excel 2003 which is 13 years old would not work on Windows 10.

In addition, Excel 2003 is not officially certified by Microsoft to be compatible with Windows 10.

You have got a double whammy.

miss_Hanin

can you suggest any other solution beside use plx-daq ? any kind of software that can retrieve live data from arduino to excel ? thank you  :)

PaulS

Why do you need to use Excel? There are other ways to display graphs of data live from the Arduino.

ieee488

Jun 02, 2016, 02:22 pm Last Edit: Jun 02, 2016, 02:25 pm by ieee488
Why do you need to use Excel? There are other ways to display graphs of data live from the Arduino.
He wants to retrieve the data and graph it.

He could always try learning VBA for Excel, but that seems to be too much of a bother for some folks.

PaulS

He wants to retrieve the data and graph it.
It's serial data. IDE version 1.6.9 comes with a serial data plotter capability.

Nick_Pyner

Jun 02, 2016, 04:16 pm Last Edit: Jun 02, 2016, 04:17 pm by Nick_Pyner
s it true that this software not compatible with windows 10 ?
If that is true, I would have thought that Windows 10 would have advised you to that effect.
can you suggest any other solution beside use plx-daq ? any kind of software that can retrieve live data from arduino to excel ?
You might try Live Graph. I preferred PLX but I can't remember why. I believe the fundamental difference might be that Excel is a spreadsheet, while LiveGraph merely makes csv files. That difference might not be relevant to you.

I find it more convenient to use Bluetooth Graphics Terminal. This is a bit round about but suits the purpose. The live data is shown on a graph on the phone via bluetooth. It is also recorded to SD on Arduino. This can be downloaded to the phone at leisure and transferred to Excel. 

I don't think the serial data plotter in the IDE merits the slightest consideration.

ieee488

Jun 02, 2016, 05:19 pm Last Edit: Jun 02, 2016, 05:20 pm by ieee488
It's serial data. IDE version 1.6.9 comes with a serial data plotter capability.
Perhaps you can point him towards a tutorial for this capability especially as to how to save that plotted data.

Go Up