Go Down

Topic: Arduino PCB Shield Design Tips (Read 16297 times) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

Yes, it does seem big compared to some things I've shrunk down as well :)
A Mega is something like 53.3 x 101.6.
100mm x 100mm lets you use a ton of thru hole parts tho and stay double sided. This one is ~95x95
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

CarlW

Crossroads,
That picture doesn't look like a shield. It looks like a standalone PCB. But I can't see the bottom.

Doesn't really matter for this topic though, it looks like you know what you're doing.

Same can be said for greynomad's board, yikes! That is "heavy duty".
:-)

CrossRoads

This is one of my heavier duty cards, later converted to SMD so even more parts could be crammed in. Wrong size 0.1uF caps were installed by the  SMD assembly house.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

graynomad

Yeah, looks like you had some components size issues there. They figured that was OK did they?

_____
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

CrossRoads

Yep.  I didn't order the parts, end customer did, he worked the assembly house. All SMD version looks great, got to wade thru old e-mails to find a pic.

graynomad

Nice board of yours as well Carl, what the heck is it?

And what are those long tubular things with stripes? :) I see Bob has some on his board as well.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

CrossRoads

Dang, I don't have pic of the even denser  board with all SMD parts.

CarlW

This is a link to another thread.

There is a video there, might help explain what my project is.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=173325.msg1438425#msg1438425

Questions?
You can see my PCB has resistors, capacitors, a reset button, power block and mostly connectors.
Connectors are generic arduino male and female and some polarized, male, shrouded board to wire connectors.

Could I buy something like this assembled? In a small quantity (25). If yes, where? It's a simple shield and really just used to simplify and make a wiring mess more reliable. Then it could be all surface mount resistors! Then it is really a question of what is my time worth to solder all those pretty striped things... It takes about an hour for me to solder a shield.

Even if some of it assembled would be worthwhile. For example those smooth, striped, colorful tubes of resistance. So, question is, what on my PCB is a problem for assembly businesses?

CrossRoads

Nothing would be a problem.  Ask cbas-usa.com for a quote.

Go Up