Go Down

Topic: Arduino Leonardo serial stopped working overnight (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

caru

I have a sketch on the arduino board which sends serial data.
Since yesterday, everything worked fine for weeks. Today, without changing the firmware at all, I cannot see it listed in Arduino IDE under serial ports, nor from other programs. I am using Windows 7.
Even worst, uploading sketches doesn't work anymore. The IDE hangs when uploading begins.
Any suggestion?

Thank you, caru.

jelanier

Take a simple program like blink. Select the upload arrow and send but hold down the reset button until it says "uploading".
Release the reset button. This worked for me.

Jim

caru

Thanks Jim, but that doesn't work for me. Are you sure you were having the same issue with the port not showing?
The IDE hangs. After some minutes I get this error (I get it also in case I don't push the reset button):

processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Couldn't find a Leonardo on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected.  If it is correct, try pressing the board's reset button after initiating the upload.
   at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:153)
   at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)
   at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1671)
   at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1627)
   at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1599)
   at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2380)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

How can I select the port if the IDE shows me no ports?

jelanier

My issue was a special case I think. It crashed during an upload.  Even after a reboot, the usb device was not recognized. I also could not select a port. However, when I used upload with the reset, it obviously went back to the port that was working before.

I have another leonardo that has never worked (usb device not recognized). I am going to try to write the bootloader if I can figure out how to do it.

Jim

caru

> However, when I used upload with the reset, it obviously went back to the port that was working before.
In my case I was using another port in the IDE, with an older arduino. So even if this was going to work, it wouldn't fallback to the correct port...

Also, I just tried it with another computer, and it correctly finds the port... not sure how I will get this working again on my current Windows installation. Any suggestion?

jelanier

In device manager..how does it show up on your current windows installation? Is it unknown device with no instance under ports? Mine shows up under other devices as unknown AND Arduino Leonardo under Ports.

Go Up