Go Down

Topic: Safety for beginner (Read 562 times) previous topic - next topic

Pingo

Greetings

I have just aquired an Arduino Uno but before I start using it I want to ask about safety issues. When talking of safety I firstly mean safety for me as a human, only secondly for safety for the unit. So to begin with, is there something I should know about concerning human safety before connecting? I tried searching for this, but I only found stuff about safety for the unit. So I will ask here and hope someone can help.

So here's a direct question to start with, hope someone can answer: When I have the unit connected to the computer, which parts of it are safe to touch (like for when moving the unit) and which should I avoid to come into direct contact with?

spycatcher2k

There is nothing there likely to cause injury, except maybe a few sharp points.
Mrs Drew
-=-
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - UK PCB Fab Company
I will design & code for you, but I will also charge you (PM me)
If you don't like my answers, realize : I'm not being cheeky, I'm Just trying to prompt you to use your own brain/google etc.

K5CZ

Arduino Uno uses 5V from USB or you can apply external power up to 12V. This voltage is safe and not dangerous to life under any circumstances. Voltage regulator can be hot (50°C / 122°F) and therefore it is not wise to touch it with your fingers or placed in the mouth (but who would do that).

mandingas

As long as you don't lick it, you should be ok   :smiley-mr-green:

dibron

Hi,

The Arduino itself will most likely not cause any personal injuries. However the projects you build might be very dangerous if you for example hook it up to control higher voltages by relays. In my country it is not allowed to control higer voltages than 48V without proper electrical education. Common sense is also an important thing to consider while designing.

-Dibron

Bstanko6

Aquire a at least one more uno. This is not a response to your safety question, just some advice. IF you do not have experience with this stuff, get a back up UNO. I learned the hard way and burnt a board by applying too much voltage for a project. For now, just stick to the examples and run an LED to get use to things. After that, move on to bigger things...take it slow.
Good Luck!

Go Up