Go Down

Topic: Software for analyzing binary/hex data? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

naut

hi

is there a software program/utility that could analyze digital data in a txt file, or some other type of binary or hexadecimal representation? So far I've only seen software bundles with hardware analyzers. No stand alone app that would e.g. take a text file of a sample of SPI communication and analyze it and help the user understand the code.

Grumpy_Mike

What do you mean by analyze it?
Do you want to just look at it or do you want graphs to be drawn or what?
Most of the time what you want to do is very specific and a quick program knocked up in the Processing language is a good start.

naut

hi

By analyzing I mean, e.g. save the output from a logic analyzer (connected to a MCU, etc...) and then analyze it to find out how the MCU controls whatever device it's in. Another purpose would be data mining.

Utilities like the 010 Editor http://www.sweetscape.com/010editor/ that can graph the data could be helpful, even better if they could search for patterns. Perhaps MS Excel could be used to graph the data or to look for patterns.

Data Center Software v6.61 is something I'll look into, just found it a few minutes ago. Perhaps it's just what I need.

Processing is also on my mind now, been looking at some tuts today, looks like it's pretty easy to use. Hopefully there are some tuts on this specific topic.

Do you know of any freeware utility or excel plugin that could take a hex file and graph it according to custom settings?

Grumpy_Mike

according to custom settings

No there's the rub.

It dosn't seem to be much of an arduino question though. The title of this section reffers to Arduino development not a free for all.

naut

did some researching, yep, it look's like I'm going to have to learn processing.

thanks for the suggestion

Go Up