Go Down

Topic: Driving a mini 2-phase 4-wire stepper motor (Read 22259 times) previous topic - next topic

MarkT

So I got some QSBT40's and hacked up a breakout board, now on order:

Board is 11x16mm in size, I added a 1206 decoupling capacitor for good measure
as well as the QSBT40 and 0805 resistors.  I'm going to try 100 ohms or so for
Arduino and 47 ohm for another(*) 3.3V microcontroller I use (which can source upto 40mA,
ie _NOT_ the Due which is much less beefy).

(*) The P8X32A "Proepeller" - its got 32 pins so could drive 7 motors (allowing for serial
comms).

Another thought I had was that an RS485 driver chip can source/sink into a 50 ohm
load safely (they are designed to drive a 100 ohm twisted pair terminated at each end),
so could be used to drive the motor at higher currents from 5V.  Dual RS485 transmitters
are pretty cheap...
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

jremington

Those are the cutest little steppers but what will you use them for?

MarkT

Erm, the worlds smallest 3D printer?!   Tiny robot...

One use is indicators, attach a drum with graphics around the edge, visible through a
slot in the front panel...   Or a faked needle-style meter (need some gearing though).

[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

jremington

Probably too big for a PicoSumo Bot! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKE9KEYHJOo

Robin2

Have you discovered what is the max current they can take?

How does their torque compare with a similarly sized DC motor?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

MarkT

Im not really sure how to measure a torque that small to be honest!  Perhaps wind a
single hair round the 0.92mm shaft?

Robin2

Gear it down and measure the output torque? It would be a crude measure with lots of error, but better than nothing. (Borrow some gears from a small servo).

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

madaeon

Hi,
I have been for a long time searching for a way to control via arduino these micro steppers and nothing worked so far.
No I saw MarkT post and breakout board and it would be super to have finally found something working!
Unfortunately I have some troubles understanding the circuit and wiring from his pictures, due to my electronics knowledge being wosre than I tought.
Can you help me? I have attached what I was able to figure out (pretty nothing  :~)
A very raw sketch of arduino code on jow to control it and pinout would be a dream.
Regards

MarkT

For code something like this would sequence appropriately
Code: [Select]

#define Aplus 2
#define Aminus 3
#define Bplus 4
#define Bminus 5

byte phase = 0 ;

void update_motor ()
{
  for (byte i = Aplus ; i <= Bminus ; i++)
    digitalWrite (i, LOW) ;
  switch (phase)
  {
  case 0:
      digitalWrite (Aplus, HIGH) ;
      break ;
  case 1:
      digitalWrite (Bplus, HIGH) ;
      break ;
  case 2:
      digitalWrite (Aminus, HIGH) ;
      break ;
  case 3:
      digitalWrite (Bminus, HIGH) ;
      break ;
  }
}

void step (boolean dir)
{
  if (dir)
    phase += 1 ;
  else
    phase -= 1 ;
  phase &= 3 ;
  update_motor () ;
}

just call step (false) or step (true)

madaeon

Thank you so much for the fast reply about the code.
If you would be so nice to also explain me a bit about the circuit, It would be very kind of you :smiley-mr-green:.
I have been trying to control those motors for my mini robot project for a while.

Riva

An old thread but while trawling eBay I came across these and thought of this thread.
Don't PM me for help as I will ignore it.

graham641

I also ordered those 2 phase steppers. I assumed that they were used for auto adjust on camera lenses in some planetary gear configuration. I would expect low torque and high speed for the application. The 20.7 ohm and 43.4 ohm values do seem a little flaky. It is like measuring across a single coil then parallel coils or some such thing. That may be why they are essentially giving them away. I looked at the provided specs and got this : Two-phase, four-beat: (+ A) (+ B) - (-A) (+ B) - (-A) (-B) - (+ A) (-B) -

Single-phase, four-beat: (+ A) - (+ B) - (-A) - (-B) -

Eight-shot, half: (+ A) (+ B) - (+ B) - (-A) (+ B) - (-A) - (-A) (-B) - (- B) - (+ A) (-B) - (+ A) -

I do not understand the nomenclature. Does it make sense to anyone?

MarkT

My circuit has two resistors to protect the output pins from over current and each pin needs
2 schotty diodes to protect from inductive voltage spikes.  Conveniently there are little packs of
multiple schottky diodes available (for protecting from a logic bus, not a motor, but same
function), so that made the component count nice and low.  All tiny surface mount stuff.

I got it working, but then I broke the motor off the PCB by accident - very delicate, and tricky to
repair that size.  No miss-stepping from standstill to max speed, since there is so little inertia
(the mechanical time constant must be a millisecond or something ridiculous!)

Go Up