Go Down

Topic: Halogen Transformer Explanation of Circuit (Read 10336 times) previous topic - next topic

Paul__B

I was wondering why you were being so persistent with a repair rather than a replacement.  I am still of the opinion that you would be better off finding a functional replacement, given that you know the specifications of what voltage and current you need.  I am curious as to what sort of "lamp" this is and why it requires 12V DC for extra circuitry.  It would certainly seem that even substituting two separate power supplies for the particular voltages would be the more practical path.

You cannot test the transformer on the power mains - it does and will always appear as a short circuit to 60 Hz.  You would need to test it at about 30 kHz to determine its functionality.  Alternatively, a "flyback tester" as used for old CRT type TVs and monitors would give an indication.  My previous reasoning was that it would be pretty much impossible due to its nature, for the transformer to be damaged by a failure in another component, but I suppose that if indeed it had been persistently overheated and the insulation damaged, it would then cause (repeated) failure in other components (and notably, the transistors).  The discolouration on the transformer was I thought, due to enamel "potting" but it could be heat damage.

The feedback coil is extremely unlikely to be a problem.

I trust the 2SC5071s are from a reputable dealer.  :smiley-eek:

Zapro

I was wondering why you were being so persistent with a repair rather than a replacement.  I am still of the opinion that you would be better off finding a functional replacement, given that you know the specifications of what voltage and current you need.  I am curious as to what sort of "lamp" this is and why it requires 12V DC for extra circuitry.  It would certainly seem that even substituting two separate power supplies for the particular voltages would be the more practical path.

My best guess is that the power supply is for a lighting effect. The 24V is for the bulb, and the 12V for the control board and fan.

And yes, OP is flogging a dead horse here. The tranformer is probably shorted.

// Per.

Go Up