Go Down

Topic: Cheap wireless serial? (Read 8822 times) previous topic - next topic

Cheater

Futurlec (and other places) has tons of little cheap transmitters and recievers.
http://futurlec.com/Radio.shtml

Are they really as simple as they seem?
Stick data in one end and get it out the other without any extra components?

If so they would be perfect for wireless debug data and maybe even wireless programming (depending on various factors). :)

Also if you have say 12v can you just use a transistor to boost TTL up?
The higher the voltage on the transmitter, the further the range is.

follower

Futurlec (and other places) has tons of little cheap transmitters and recievers.
http://futurlec.com/Radio.shtml

Are they really as simple as they seem?

No--judging by other people's experience on various forums.

Getting reliable data transmission without extra work seems unlikely.

I've read about comments on these either here and/or on avrfreaks...

--Phil.

P.S. How's the foreign country? :-)

Cheater

So even the more expensive ones wont give stable slow serial? :(
I'd only be using it for remote debugging maybe a couple of meters away.

What could you add to try and make it more reliable?

Turkey is nice.
Very different to the western world yet similar at the same time.
E.g. there is a Starbucks a couple of blocks away and another one about 3 more blocks away.  ;D

Cheater

Ah ok it seems that they work ok when you use Manchester encoding.
That seems good enough for me. :)

follower

Ah ok it seems that they work ok when you use Manchester encoding.

Will be keen to hear how it goes then, for that sort of short-range distance...

--Phil.

PlastBox

Dec 17, 2007, 06:38 pm Last Edit: Dec 17, 2007, 06:44 pm by PlastBox Reason: 1
I would very much like to hear some details on how this project is going! I have this idea buzzing in the back of my head of getting a 2-way radio link up and running between stand-alone (slave) Atmega168-chips (interfaced to lamps, gadgetry, sensors) and a central "master".

The slaves would all be scilent, and have a unique ID so that the master could address any one of them with commands or information-requests. Thus, only the master would be transmitting at any one time, except after an information-request to a spesific slave (using it's unique ID), at which point the slave would respond with whatever information was requested from it.

The software part of this would not really represent much of a problem for me I dare assume. I am well-versed in php and BASIC-type languages (using Visual Basic 6 for computer master) and I also have a fair amount of experience with c/java/delphi. I have designed protocols for TCP/IP networking and, albeit simple, this gives me some insight to how a protocol should work.

The ultimate goal would be to have several small, addressable units around the apartment which could control devices (using additional hardware depending on the spesific slaves job), and from which I could poll information like light, temperature and such. The master would consist of a radio-transceiver connected through an Arduino to a computer. This computer would run home-made VB-software to send info-requests to slaves, create statistics and make this available on a webpage, as well as take commands from the same php/MySQL-driven webpage and forward them to the appropriate slave.

Basically a wireless home control center with device-control and statistics/live info on temp-/light-conditions, and a nice web frontend. :D

JonnyMac

Dec 17, 2007, 08:26 pm Last Edit: Dec 18, 2007, 06:16 pm by JonnyMac Reason: 1
I'm working on a similar "network" project; I started with the SX28 micro because I'm really familiar with it, but will create an Arduino-based network node as well.  Now... I'm not a big fan of low-cost RF so I went with wire using a friend's idea (that he uses to control animatronics): the network comms is full-duplex RS-485 over inexpensive CAT-5 cable.

You can see what my friend (a Hollywood FX guy and TV director) does with his network at Halloween: www.socalhalloween.com

I made my network devices compatible with his so I can help him add to his show.

PlastBox

Holy crap! Check out the link in the post above, particularly the Raven. There is a video at the end of the raven talking to a skull. Genious!

PlastBox

If I was to buy a couple of pairs of these babies: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=7815 What would I need to connect them to the computer?

I want to experiment a bit with wireless serial, but investing in 2 Arduinos (or mucking about with hooking up one stand-alone Atmega) is a bit much just for the experimentation. Also, I want the end project to consist of a computer master, controlling several Atmegas wirelessly. Prefferably, of course, I would like to have a transmitter (and perhaps also reciever) attached directly to the computer in control, instead of going via an Atmega.

So, what "stuff" do I need to hook up something like those transmitter/reciever-pairs to my computers serial port (or usb-port using the Arduinos serial-usb driver)?

Thanks!

Cheater

If I was to buy a couple of pairs of these babies: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=7815 What would I need to connect them to the computer?

Could grab a MAX232 schematic and rig it up to it.
So you'd make the Arduino send data and you'd pick it up on your serial port.

Go Up