Go Down

Topic: Using motors with more power than arduino can supply/radio controlled (Read 809 times) previous topic - next topic

3_141592_Co

Jan 27, 2014, 03:33 pm Last Edit: Jan 27, 2014, 03:54 pm by 3_141592_Co Reason: 1
So before i start a project i have in mind i am concerned about it's power supply. I will be using 5 motors using more than 5v each (not sure on specifics working that out right now). The problem is that i can't figure a way out to wire this were they will only get power when the arduino is receiving a certain radio signal. II have the radio receiver and a remote control that works with it as well. My issue is getting it to all be wired right and stuff. I don't really know where to start on it.

MarkT

You need the appropriate motor driver (a motor shield?  an ESC?).  Always supply
motors and relays from a separate supply to the Arduino unless you really know
what you are doing...

So what are the motors supposed to do - we can help you sort out how to achieve
your goal if you give us a chance :)
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

3_141592_Co

Jan 27, 2014, 03:59 pm Last Edit: Jan 27, 2014, 04:00 pm by 3_141592_Co Reason: 1
So the motors are from the mid 80's small dinky little things. They control an "arm"  they have no speed just on and off.  The reason why it can't be more like programmed is because the competition i am in requires it to be all driver skill but, i want it wireless. So i am looking for two things. First a way to get power to them only when the a digital port is on say 3 for example the power is to be separate but i only want it to get to the motor when that port is on. I wasn't sure if there was some kind of gate for this or something it has to physical but i am not sure what it can be. Also i am looking for a good rc recvier for my board i thought i found one but it is on back order for a couple months any ideas.

MarkT

For small DC motors its either a transistor or MOSFET for one-directional control
or an H-bridge for bidriectional control - the various motor-shields are typically dual
H-bridges.

Note a diode across the motor is needed for transistor / MOSFET switching since
motors are inductive loads.  There are many postings to search through for ideas here.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

3_141592_Co

Ok ccol i think i can do that. I have one more question though is there a way to make a xbee able to send 8 different signals like signals that can be differenciated by another board as a possible 8 signals for the 4 h-bridges? I don't need full code but i do need like an idea where to start on that thing(i have never messed with radio control before) :)

Go Up