Go Down

Topic: Uploading to Breadboard ATMega328P-PU with Uno R3 (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Aristobulous

Hey all, I'm hoping I'm not putting this in the wrong forum.  I'm looking at building several copies of a circuit involving the ATMega328P-PU.  Preferably (for cost) I'd like to be able to purchase 'raw' ATMegas and use my UNO R3 to bootload and upload sketches.  This http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard article mentions not being able to use an UNO to upload sketches to an ATMega328 breadboard circuit and I was curious if this was actually correct or if the article was perhaps out of date.  Since my R3 uses an ATMega328P-PU itself is there any reason I can not expect it to function for bootloading a raw 328P-PU, and for uploading sketches once I remove the UNO's chip??

For details I am building my circuit with a 16MHz crystal and the 22pF caps.

This article http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP mentions needing a 10uF capacitor from Reset to Ground when dealing with an UNO, is this solely when an UNO is the target of an upload or when being used as the intermediary USB to Serial interface?

A search through the forums does not seem to be yielding a clear answer.

fkeel

It *should* work fine with a UNO.

The 10uF cap is required when using the Arduino UNO as an ISP, irrelevant of what your target is.

larryd

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

Paul__B

This article mentions not being able to use an UNO to upload sketches to an ATMega328 breadboard circuit and I was curious if this was actually correct or if the article was perhaps out of date.

It is indeed, completely out of date as UNOs with an ATmega128 are (generally) no longer sold.

Stick to nick!

Aristobulous

Awesome, I'll give it a whirl, I'll be happy saving the $3 - $4 per ATMega.

Thanks for the responses :)

Peter_I

Fantastic!

I have a couple of Atmega328 in the mail, and had exactly the same question after reading the tutorial.

I'll stick to Nick too.
:-)
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Go Up