Open source, TOF laser rangefinder

The video linked below demonstrates how the timebase of the OSLRF-01 can be controlled using a very simple circuit. In this case, a 1k potentiometer is used as a voltage divider that feeds the Control input. As this voltage is changed, the timebase expands over several orders of magnitude without any significant distortion of the signals. Don't forget that the original signals are traveling at the speed of light.

Laser_Developer:
When I have a chance I'll put together parts lists (BOMs) with part numbers from the major suppliers.

Hi, I was just wondering if you had the chance to put together the parts list for the OSLRF-01. If so, where can I find this list?

Thank you in advance.

I'm also curious if you have had any time to put together the list of parts. I'm working on building a laser rangefinder as a physics project and I would love to see more about how this particular one works. I have a reasonable budget so I may get one of these modules as a reference as well.

Thanks for this really cool project and all the freely available information!

Sorry for the delay. The preliminary BOM is here:

The top overlay is here:

And the bottom overlay is here:

Still to come are the Gerber files and the Eagle CAD files.

Wow, that was a very welcome surprise!

Thanks for the great job, eager to build one on my own.
I have downloaded the user manual of OSLRF-01 and checked the schematic.
But the BOM and Gerber images looks blurred.
May you provide the BOM list and Gerber file as raw file(zip)?
:smiley:

We're putting together a complete pack of high resolution info that will soon be available for download on the lightware.co.za website. It takes a little time to get everything perfect... :slight_smile:

Thank you very much!

I can't wait for the complete pack to come out.

I bought one of these laser and I am excited to play with it. :grin:

We're still working on the full information pack but in the meantime the OSLRF-01 KIT is now available from the www.lightware.co.za website. This kit includes the PCB, optics and mechanical parts that are used to make the OSLRF-01. You buy the electronic components yourself, so you get them at cost, and you save on the price of assembly. The PCB can be populated by hand but I recommend that you have a magnifying glass or microscope and a hot air pencil for some of the parts. The OSLRF-01 KIT sells for US$15.00 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have a working Arduino Library (needs some community cleanup) based on Tim Eckels NewPing Library.

Details can be found here --> Arduino-Pi Ramblings: Success! OSLRF01 (LIDAR) successfully Scanning and providing accurate results.

Hi all,

The minimal measurable according to document is 0.5m.
Is it limited by the geometry between laser transmitter and photo-diode? or the SETS circuit?
XD

It's just the effects of optical parallax on the signal strength. You can actually extract a result if you use a smart signal processing algorithm but the signal is getting down to the level of the noise. An easier way to measure shorter distances is to use a shorter focal length lens on the receiver side or even remove the lens altogether.
The SETS circuit starts measuring before the laser fires. In other words, the expanded timebase zero point (t = 0) occurs well before the optical zero point when the photons start to leave the laser. On the circuit diagram, the two gates of IC5 introduce a delay of about 8 nanoseconds between the start of the SETS and the firing of the laser, just to make sure that things happen in the right sequence.

thanks for the detailed explain. (y)

Has anyone had any luck making this work?
I tried using unix_guru's code but I am having trouble. I can't get the correct values.
I am not sure if it's because I am using an Arduino Uno instead of the Arduino FIO.
Does anyone know if that will make a difference?

Thank you in advance

Some more progress on the manual for the OSLRF-01 can be found here:
http://lightware.co.za/shop/en/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=7
This update includes some instructions on how to assemble the OSLRF-01 KIT.

Several people are contributing open source software including unix_guru here:
http://letsmakerobots.com/node/40633
He has some preliminary software saved here:

Great work on the range finder!

Is there a shorter focal length lens on the receiver which could be substituted to make the minimum distance less than .5M? I am looking for measuring ranges of 5cm to 500cm with <1 cm error rate.

Thanks

Thanks MarkJ :slight_smile:
I can't say for certain that the OSLRF-01 will meet your requirements but it's these kinds of unusual applications that make this open source product such an exciting platform to run experiments on. There's nothing that prevents different lens combinations from being used, even to the extent of having no lenses at all! You can use a smaller lens on the laser - perhaps one of those that you get inside visible laser pointers, and you could leave the lens off the detector so that there are no parallax effects.

For short range measurements, you could also try running the laser at lower power (change the voltage regulator) to reduce electrical firing noise and also narrow the width of the laser pulse (RC network) to get a cleaner signal.

Just remember that with a smaller lens on the laser, the beam intensity goes up and you could exceed the Class1 eye safety limit. Reducing the power and pulse width of the laser will help. These kinds of modifications should be done whilst watching the expanded timebase signals on an oscilloscope. This will give you a very clear idea of how each change to the design affects the performance.

If you really want to break new ground, the OSLRF-01 circuit is capable of quasi-phase measurement, a much higher resolution method of measuring a distance. This is a pretty complicated modification and will perhaps form the basis of a future discussion!

Hello,

Using simple rising signals threshold method I get 10-50cm measurement errors (closer-larger). So I badly want to try this CFD algorithm and have few questions about using it:

1. How do You choose to set a threshold for return signal ? If dark/light/close/far objects return amplitude varies 20 times ?

2. If Return signal is measured by CFD, so Zero signal also has to be measured in this way, to keep correct distance between them ?

P.S. About Sync signal frequency. First, I assumed it is constant (if not adjusted by Control) . But then I noticed strange drift of measurements over time. Started to examine it and found that at the beginning it was 27770(micro secs) and after about half minute it dropped to 27140. After few minutes it was settled about 27190. Not much, but can't ignore 0,6ms (~40cm?). So I can't measure it once in setup, and than use as fixed number in calculations ?

Hi ig-x.

I'm delighted to see your questions on this forum. You are asking about some of the critical issues that face LRF designers and you can probably imagine how much harder these issues would be to resolve if the signals were all running at the speed of light.

1. There are many different strategies that can be used to set the threshold. In many professional LRFs it is a dynamic level that is adjusted according to the strength of the return signal. Of course, this can be done in software if the entire waveform has been digitized. If you don't want to use an ADC then you can dynamically adjust the reference voltage of a comparator, typically by using a PWM output and setting the duty cycle. A good rule of thumb is to adjust the threshold so it is about half the height of the return signal. This gives the best signal-to-noise ratio (SNR).

2. It is not necessary to use the same algorithm on both the return signal and the zero. The reason is that the zero has a very stable amplitude whilst the return signal has a continuously changing one. Of course, using different algorithms changes the offset between the zero and the return, but since they are not perfectly matched anyway, you always need to include some offset in software. In practice, you often find that the algorithm measuring the zero is much more accurate than the one measuring the return signal. This is because there is plenty of time to collect the zero data and perform complicated statistical or correlation mathematics, since it is not changing. Conversely, the return signal can change very fast so a quicker algorithm may be needed.

3. The sync signal is NOT at a constant frequency - it drifts with temperature. As a result, all measurements need to be taken as a proportion of the sync time. It is the ratio of the return time to the sync time that is a constant.

Please consider writing about your tests and their results so that other people using this open source device can benefit from your experience :).

Thank You Laser Developer !

maybe You can share some details/examples about Convert signal usage? How it can be used to help do ADC conversions?

At the moment everything is a little bit fuzzy for me. If I get stable readings at some distances i.e. 3m and 4m, than instead of 1 meter I get 1,5 meter. If I achieve 1 meter than others shifts and so on. I think I will end making some lookup correction table.