Go Down

Topic: For the seasoned contributors (Read 9734 times) previous topic - next topic

3dprinter

I disagree. CarbonCopy: The second (and 3rd or 4th if you were desperate) sheet of paper rolled into the typewrite at the same time., ie. as a stack. Between each papersheet was a thin sheet of carbon paper (on a clean sheet of "plastic", so the carbon was only on one side). When the typewrite keys struck hard on the paper (through the ribbon as to leav an impresison), it also would leave an impression on the 2nd sheet from the (first) carbon sheet.

This second piece would be the CarbonCopy. It would not be as crisp as the top "original" sheet as the outline of the typefont/letter was evened out by the "cushion" effect of ribbon, original and carbon sheet. It was even worse on the 2nd CC (3rd sheet) and so on. If the typist used a pure manual, and her (it was always a "she" - equality wasnt invented yet ;) ) strength varied the lower down copies would sometimes have very weak or missing letters.

As her superior onDet kan da godt være en god idee. PÅ den anden side, hvis jeg skal ind i hovedtavlen for at tage ledningerne fra så gider jeg ikke.

When one wrote a letter - or rather the handwritten or dictation, one would say which importent recepients would need an "Original" and the others got a CC - Carbon Copy. This was a fund way of determineing your importance in the office hireachy - the ratio of "originals" to "CC" in your inbox.

WIth the advent of the Xerox copy machine the distinction got blurred. The typist only needed to to type one copy and then xerox the rest, and it was harder to notice if you got the cc. (Except the early Xerox machine used a coated paper and it was VERY obvious this was a CC - but now the CC was as legible as the original so it mattered less)

Oh yes ... did I tell you about the snow, and the coal heating amd the long 26 hour working days .... :) ?

MAS3

Quote from: Msquare

Oh yes ... did I tell you about the snow, and the coal heating and the long 26 hour working days .... :) ?

Well, it seems like only the last one has survived.
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

AWOL

WIth the advent of the Xerox copy machine the distinction got blurred

I can remember my Dad taking me to the office he worked in to show me the new Xerox machine.
It was the size of two desks, and had its own permanent operator.

Anyone remember wax stencils?

MAS3

That's hot !

It has the very rare phlogiston, where did they get that ?
For that price, all reading here should order it today.
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

MichaelMeissner

I'm not sure I have the patience (oh, squirrel) to assemble such a kit, and the units that are already assembled, are a little pricey for my budget right now.  But, it remains on the someday list of cool things.

SirNickity

Wow, someone invented the dumb terminal again.  ;)

When I was in elementary school they still used those machines with the big round drum that spat out copies with blue-colored ink.

Paul__B

What's a carriage and why would it have to return?

The carriage of a typewriter needs to return back to the left plus move roller up to a new line.

So, it's been a while since you laid hands on one, isn't it?

Graynomad had it right.  In Western countries, the typewriter starts typing on the left hand side of the page, which means you push the carriage to the right using that lever on the left side of the carriage - which also performs the "line feed" on the roller by the number of line increments for which it has been set; single, double, triple and partial spacings.

From the article cited:

retronet_RIMBA1ZO

What's a carriage and why would it have to return?

The carriage of a typewriter needs to return back to the left plus move roller up to a new line.

So, it's been a while since you laid hands on one, isn't it?

haha, yeah - you caught me out there !!

actually...

the carriage is stationary and the the whole typewriter glides on rollers to the left...
:-P

John_Smith

I tried to read through these posts, but forgot I had  pressed the " Scroll lock" key first  :-)
45 years of editing projects with a knife and soldering iron, then I found Arduino !

retronet_RIMBA1ZO

I tried to read through these posts, but forgot I had  pressed the " Scroll lock" key first  :-)

lol, you got me wasting a few minutes trying to figure out how mine works !

Go Up