Go Down

Topic: UNO CDC install (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

pwdixon

I can program my UNO with the IDE and I can use the serial monitor but what I'd like to do is connect an external terminal emulator program over the USB connection and use a CDC virtual serial interface.  The problem is while the arduino shows in device manager I dont get a serial port in my terminal emulator.  I'm assuming the CDC driver needs loading but how do I do that?

Grumpy_Mike

he problem is while the arduino shows in device manager I dont get a serial port in my terminal emulator.

So that will be a problem with your terminal emulator, nothing else.

pwdixon

he problem is while the arduino shows in device manager I dont get a serial port in my terminal emulator.

So that will be a problem with your terminal emulator, nothing else.

I have seen before that when I've installed other devices (FTDI) that a two stage install takes place the second stage makes the device use a CDC driver allowing a virtual serial port to be used.  The arduino only rana single stage install so I assumed the CDC driver was missing.  Have you connected an arduino board to a serial port not through the IDE?

pwdixon

I tried hyperterminal and it worked so you were right it was the terminal emulator.  I tried the original program and found that it had a problem enumerating the coms port for the arduino, when forced to use the arduino it did work, so it's just some feature of the arduino driver that doesn't enumerate the coms port in the way in this case Docklight can detect.  I've used Docklight for many years and it's never had a problem like this.

Go Up