Arduino Light sequence

Hello I am new to Arduino. I have a project I would like to make and need help. It consist of 3 different light sequences with a controller knob o regulate speed. I want to make so that it plugs into a wall outlet or runs on batteries or both what ever is easier. The first sequence turns on every led one by one turning on the one before it. The turns one the leds one at a time and leaves them on until the end of the sequence. The third basically blinks.I want to know where to start and if some one could help me out with code, ideas or what ever to make this work. Hope to hear from you guys soon. ;D

I want to know where to start

The best place to start is the tutorial homepage - Arduino - Home - although the projects are simpler than the one you want ot build they are the buildiong stones of your project. You learn how to program LEDS, switches, buttons and potmeters any many other devices. By the time you have worked through these samples (1-4 weeks) you will have learned a lot, probably enough to get your project started.

Hi!

Take a look at this video : How-to Tuesday: Arduino 101 the LED - YouTube
There are also a bunch of other videos and tutorial on the web you can look for.

And I recently found this blog, with a lot of interesting arduino tutorials: Arduino Tutorials | tronixstuff.com

Ask if you need more precise help and I wish you good luck for this project!