Will this toolkit be enough to get me started?

1. eNTuino w/ Atmega328
  2. Mini USB Cable
  3. Breadboard (regular)
  4. Female Jumper wires (Pack of 10)
  5. Male Breadboard connectors (Pack of 65 pcs)
  6. Assorted Resistor pack (1k,10k,100E,4k7,220E,220k,2k7,) - 10 each
  7. Capacitors (10uF, 100nF) - 5 each
  8. Transistor PN222 - 5 Pcs
  9. Push Button (tactile switch) - 10 Pcs
  10. 10k POT - 2 Pcs
  11. RGB LED - 1 Pcs
  12. LEDs (RED) - 10 Pcs
  13. Proto Shield -1 Pcs
  14. Connectors (Male, Female headers) - 5 Pcs each.
  15. LDR (Light dependent resistor) - 1 Pcs
    16, 12mm Buzzer - 1 Pcs
  16. Character LCD 16x2 - 1 Pcs
  17. Quad Opamp LM324 - 1 Pcs
  18. LM35 Temperature Sensor
  19. Storage Plastic Box

For 2050rs i.e(35$)
Hello ,
I am fairly new to hardware electronics ,
though I know c c++ n java ...

soo a local shop is offering me this kit , is it good enough to get me started ?
The shop is far from my home , so I better grab everything I need all in one go ..
Do I need something else rather than above mentioned stuffs?

Get you started with what? What project are you building? If you're just looking for a random starter kit...

1. You're going to need more than one breadboard if you plan on doing more than one thing at a time.
  2. What about green, yellow and blue LEDs, in case you need to signal other things?
  3. Diodes
  4. LCD display
  5. Piezo
  6. Temperature sensor
  7. Tilt sensor
  8. Optocouplers
  9. You'll need more than 5 tact switches.

I'm assuming those are female to female jumper wires? Personally, I've found them a little useless for any breadboard projects I'm doing. I have needed a couple female to male jumper wires before, though. There are some uses for them, but I haven't needed them yet.

I'm assuming the breadboard connectors come in assorted colors... It's always good to get 2-3 packs of those at least, so that you can have a lot of every color. Some times I use a ton of wires on my experiments, and running out of a specific color was a serious pain. You need to keep things color coded.

How are you powering the projects? The USB cable works, but sometimes you need more than one power source. So I use a RECHARGEABLE 9V battery, and a charger for the 9v battery, as they won't last very long. But I guess it's really not needed, if you are planning on just starting with the USB cable.

If you use a 9v battery, you'll also need a battery snap, because it's the simplest way to connect the battery to the breadboard.

I wouldn't short yourself on resistors. I never had enough when I first started.

You might want to get a few zero ohm resistors, just because I found them to be fun. But they really aren't needed.

You might want to look at the starter kit that Arduino sells and try to get most of the components that are listed in there. Those all came in very hand to me.

There's always going to be something you forgot. I found myself ordering, and reordering several times as I wanted to try new projects. But I order all my parts online.

Thanks for your reply .
This is my plan of spending my vaccation and exams are on now :stuck_out_tongue: so really havent surfed through projects yet , thats the reason I dont know what shud I buy ..
ok so ya I agree I need tilt sensor and stuff , ita gonna be cool ..
and ya I will tell them to remove the female jumoer wires and give me some other color led..
thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

It sounds like you might be better off buying the official Arduino starter kit. You'll get all the parts you need and a book to tell you how to build the projects. You even get the Arduino Uno.

Don't forget a couple of tools: multimeter, small needle nose pliers, small cutters.

Yeah I am ordering a soldering iron (for my solar powered batterycharger project) and a multimeter ..
thanks for the help guys :slight_smile:

I used to think a multimeter was pretty useless. But once I learned how to use it... It's one of the tools I use the most.

Make sure to get a digital multimeter though, don't get one of the cheap analog multimeters they are too hard to use.

Yes, the new digital ones have all kinds of measurement features:
autoranging measurements
AC voltage
DC voltage
resistance
capacitance
inductance
frequency
current
temperature with a thermocouple
etc.

This is the one I use
http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?prodid=277
Got it on sale for $40, $45, something like that, just happened to be marked down the one day I stopped at my "local" (45 minutes away) electronics shop.

This stuffs are pretty expensive in india
So I have to adjust a little with the quality :frowning:
how about this one
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Digital-LCD-Multi-Meter-Ohm-DC-AC-Volt-Amp-WITH-2-LEADS-Probs-SKU-529-/271409468178?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item3f3143d312&_uhb=1

And this one ..

http://www.ebay.in/itm/NEW-Digital-multimeter-is-a-great-tool-for-electricians-/111232032593?pt=IN_Computer_Components&hash=item19e5f21f51&_uhb=1

I need to find one that beeps when you complete a circuit. I saw that on a YouTube video and that was really neat. He was using it to figure out what connected to what, on a PCB board that didn't come with any instructions. Mine doesn't beep, and I can't find any that specifically state that they have that feature.

Holy crap, 2,000 for an Arduino Uno $)

Either of those multimeter would work. You just need to read the instructions so you know how to use it without breaking it. It will tell you what all the symbols mean.

Edit: Actually that only converts to like $21... That's not a bad price..

Well what do u mean by "2000 for arduino" .. n I really dont know what to do with a multimeter rather than to check output voltage ..
using multimeter carelessly will burn my arduino?? (I am buying a solder iron , I can solder a new atmega 328 chip right ? If anything as such happens?)

I don't know if you can damage the Arduino. But you can damage the multimeter if you use some of the functions wrong. At least that's what I've heard. If the mulimeter is a good one, it should have a fuse in it.

The Arduino Uno doesn't need a soldering iron to get a new chip, but from what I've learned they aren't programmed out of the box, so you have to add a boot loader to it.

The Mega 2560 looks like it would require a soldering iron, but man those are so small, I wouldn't even attempt it. I would just buy a new one. There's no way I could solder something that small without screwing it up.

Just read the instructions with the multimeter, and also watch YouTube videos about how to use it. That's all I do.

Well thanks for the heads up buddy :slight_smile:
Can u tell me which was ur first project that was awesome?(except the blink led one :p) ..
I cud use some motivation :slight_smile:

I did all the projects that came in the starter kit. I also did these:

I don't know that you could call them amazing though.

Well its amazing to me :slight_smile: thankyou so much

You could start with that LED chaser, since it's really simple to do. I just wrote some quick code for it, and the code is pretty basic too.

int currentLED = 2;

void setup(){

while (currentLED <= 12)
  {
    pinMode(currentLED, OUTPUT);
    currentLED++;
  }
  currentLED = 2;
}

void loop(){
 int pot = analogRead(A0);
 if (pot < 26)
 {
   pot = 26; // Anything faster is way too fast for the LEDs to keep up.
 }

for(int led = 2; led <= 12; led++)
 {
   digitalWrite(led, LOW);
 }

digitalWrite(currentLED, HIGH);
 currentLED++;
 if (currentLED > 12)
 {
   currentLED = 2;
 }

delay(pot); 
}

CSGuy,
My meter has a Continuity Mode, beeps when a circuit is closed.
Pretty easy to make a standalone one also.

CrossRoads:
CSGuy,
My meter has a Continuity Mode, beeps when a circuit is closed.
Pretty easy to make a standalone one also.

Does my multimeter have that mode?

I have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/GE-50953-Multimeter-6-Function-Non-Recording/dp/B002DNG63C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394050794&sr=8-1&keywords=Digital+Multimeter+Ge2524

Doesn't look like it.