Go Down

Topic: [SOLVED]Yun + Solar w/12v Battery (Read 8720 times) previous topic - next topic

bjarne

Sorry, maybe that was you said in the last post.

So you are saying that you measure 12.83V on the input of the regulator and only 1.34V on the output?  That sound like the regulator is either connected incorrectly or is defective.

theDuke540

I'm thinking you are right about the regulator. Unfortunately, I don't have my spare handy  =(. The odd thing to me is that on the output leg of the regulator I measure 5.01vdc; almost perfect! This is very frustrating. As a side-note,  this is a work related project. It will basically be a small weather system complete with two tipping bucket rain systems, GPS, TMP36 sensor and cellular modem. (That is if I can work out this solar issue!)

bjarne

Sounds like an interesting project, good luck with it.

One last question, did you measure the voltage right at the input pin to the regulator with the Yun connected?

bjarne

One more last question  :)
What are you using for the tipping buckets?

theDuke540

One last question, did you measure the voltage right at the input pin to the regulator with the Yun connected?

Yes. I measured 12.9v @ the the input pin(1) of the regulator, with the Yun connected.

One more last question  :)
What are you using for the tipping buckets?

I'll be using MetOne 8" model 370's. (We have an immense surplus of them here!) 8)

theDuke540

Update!!!
So today I tested my Yun with a new 5v regulator. Guess what? It works. So, even though the 'bad' one was measuring 5.01vdc Vout, when connected, the voltage dropped to 1.19vdc.

The light is on now!

This is my prototype setup. Not very pretty I know, but I'm thinking of starting a new thread to document it's creation. It's going to be pretty nice when finished.

Much thanks to bjarne for his patience and knowledge!  :)

bjarne

Great to hear !
I am looking forward to read the other thread when you have the time.

theDuke540

Mar 11, 2014, 04:48 pm Last Edit: Mar 11, 2014, 05:09 pm by theDuke540 Reason: 1
I'll be sure to post that thread when I have all the documentation organized. Thanks again! :D

BTW bjarne, +1. Many thanks!

bjarne

You are welcome, we are all here to learn and help each other.

PCWorxLA

Update!!!
So today I tested my Yun with a new 5v regulator. Guess what? It works. So, even though the 'bad' one was measuring 5.01vdc Vout, when connected, the voltage dropped to 1.19vdc.
Just curious, did you get a new one of the same model or did you get a different model? I saw that beside that little red 5V/1A one, they also have a "wired" 5V/3A one...

Ralf

theDuke540

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I actually had a second regulator; same model and specs (5V, 1A). I considered the 3A one but it would be overkill for my project.

Cheers

PCWorxLA

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I actually had a second regulator; same model and specs (5V, 1A). I considered the 3A one but it would be overkill for my project.
No problem, just curious, as I saw that little red plug in one of the earlier photos but not in the last one.
"Going solar" is one of the general projects that I have on my list for this summer...  8)

Ralf

sonnyyu

It will basically be a small weather system complete with two tipping bucket rain systems, GPS, TMP36 sensor and cellular modem.

Plan B:

Use 4g wifi hotspot replace GPS and cellular modem.

Sample cost: 500 MB/4G per month free, Extra data $0.02 / MB (http://www.freedompop.com/)

Check 4 big one (AT&T,Sprint,Verizon,T-mobile) for 4G  coverage at your area.

theDuke540

Thanks for the info! I work for the government and, unfortunately, they like to limit where we get our materials from. It will have to be Verizon compatible (CDMA). The data shouldn't take up more than 25Mb per day. I'm looking into: http://www.option.com/product/cloudgate/ for cell capability. We use these on some of our other automated instruments already.

istrait77

Did you ever get a chance to document this?  I am trying to get something similar going for a project that I am working on.

Go Up