Go Down

Topic: Controlling a Vacuum Extractor for a CNC (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

shearder

Hi all

I have a CNC machine and an extractor which pulls out dust etc while the CNC is running. With that said sometimes the CNC finishes it's job and stops - know that it won't always return to the same point of origin - noooo - that would be TOO easy! SO when the CNC stops its run it returns to the 0 point set for THAT job and stops. The extractor, however, has no intelligence and continues to run regardless.

I need to find a way that I can have a movement sensor OR some sort of sensor that would turn the extractor off when the CNC has stopped. Typically that would mean all 3 AXIS will stop moving. Is there a way to do this? I have a UNO and a 2560 laying around  but i think an UNO would be more than enough.

Any ideas/links etc would be MOST welcome!

Thanks.

wildbill

Would a current sensor allow you to tell by the overall system's draw, whether you're seeing the CNC machine at work as apposed to just the fan?

Zapro

Why not power the extractor when the spindle is running ? this is the way commercial systems work.

// Per.

daniellyall

shearder

I am using NCStudio. I know some cards like Mach3 have a pin out that can be used to trigger a relay etc which would be the easy way - VERY easy way. However I don't think NCStudio has that ability.

Zapro

I am using NCStudio. I know some cards like Mach3 have a pin out that can be used to trigger a relay etc which would be the easy way - VERY easy way. However I don't think NCStudio has that ability.

Once again i ask: Why not power the extractor when the spindle is powered ?

// Per.

MarkT

You could XOR all the step pulses together and hook that to an interrupt pin.  Interrupt
handler resets the time-out value, main loop waits for time-out to happen.  Or route the
step pulses to several pins on the same port and use the relevant pin-change interrupt.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

shearder

That would be a very logical thing to do. How would i go about doing that? would it not compromise the workings of the spindle which is controlled by an inverter? I am not sure if it uses PWM etc - whether it is relevant or not is also beyond me however how would i do that as it makes the most sense as the extractor is only required when the spindle is running.

Once again i ask: Why not power the extractor when the spindle is powered ?

// Per.

Zapro

What signals the inverter to start the motor ? This signal can activate a relay too, and then control the extractor.

If in doubt, post what kind of inverter drive you have, and what kind of interface you are using on the computer.

// Per.

Go Up