Linino Locks up after ~12-24 hours Running php Script every minute

sonnyyu:
Plan B: load Dynamic DNS (DDNS) at Yun.

opkg update

opkg install ddns-scripts

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/ddns.client

Then setup port forwarding forward port 22 of Yun.

Plan C: same as Plan B, but put Yun at DMZ zone.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think this is what I need. I am able to access the router and Yun (SSH) fine for the first ~12 hours of uptime. I don't think I need DDNS... I have a static IP on my 4G router and I haven't been unable to connect to it remotely over the past ~1 week.

sonnyyu:
Now you could login router then from there ssh to Yun.

Can you elaborate on this last line? Unfortunately, it is impractical to install OpenWRT or similar on my 4G router (NETGEAR MBR1516) and it is impractical to add a second router to the setup. (FYI, my next implementation will use a 4G USB dongle directly plugged into the Yun.) I have a static WAN IP on the router from my ISP, I have the Yun set to a static IP on the router's subnet, and I have had port 22 forwarded to the Yun from the beginning. As I mentioned above, after a Linino reboot I can SSH to the Yun fine (until ~12-24 hours later) and I can also access the Luci config pages (I also have port 80 forwarded to the Yun).

The problem is that after ~12-24 hours the Yun is essentially unreachable, other than the fact that it shows up here:
After a modem reboot, the device comes back as 'attached'.

back to original point:

• use nagios to monitor or profile system metrics.
  • put detect internet connection script at cronjob that runs every ~10 minutes, reboot machine if connection drop.

sonnyyu:
back to original point:

• use nagios to monitor or profile system metrics.
  • put detect internet connection script at cronjob that runs every ~10 minutes, reboot machine if connection drop.

Yes, this will work, but will have some undesirable consequences -> downtime (minor), but also the device would stop logging even if all is well and the 4G internet actually goes down. Perhaps there is a way to check the connection between the Yun and the router instead? I'd still like to get to the bottom of this issue because I don't think it should be happening at all. I am buying a 3rd Yun to test because my 2nd one isn't exhibiting these issues.

I was able to regain connection to my Yun in the field by changing the static IP in the 4G router setttings. I changed it from 192.168.0.10 to .180 and after some time, it obtained the new IP. I don't think it immediately got the new IP address after rebooting the 4G router. With the new IP of .180 and the ports forwarded to match, I am once again able to SSH and HTTP to the Yun. The Yun shows ~3 days of uptime, so it never restarted, confirming the suspicion that it is just losing internet connectivity.

Any ideas? I am thinking it has to do with DHCP lease time, even though I have it setup as static in the router. The recurring elapsed time to failure of ~12 hours is just too much to be a coincidence. I have already found some issues with the MBR1516 firmware that caused me a lot of grief. There is a bug where a port forward set up as TCP/UDP reverts to UDP when saved. So then trying to connect via TCP doesn't work. I wonder if there is also a bug with their DHCP or if it was a problem to have the Yun set to static within the DHCP range (now changed range to .2 to .100 and set Yun to .180).

Something clearly isn't right!

Please post output of

cat /etc/config/network

sonnyyu:
Please post output of

cat /etc/config/network

sonnyyu, thank you so much for all your time. Looking around the forum I can see that you are very helpful to people on the board. Now that I can connect to the Yun in the field and have another one to test with, I am implementing the DHCP fix on all of them... I think that is the issue. When we were talking before I was unable to fix the remote located one. I was a bit confused on DHCP... I know what DHCP is, but wasn't thinking straight. Even though the router sets up a 'static' IP for the Yun, the Yun is still behaving as DHCP from its perspective. I will report back to confirm this. It's glad a fix was found (the link you provided), but it's frustrating that OpenWRT/Yun was released like this with such an obvious problem on the LAN. Hopefully not too many other people consume so much time by dealing with this issue.

root@yun03:~# cat /etc/config/network

config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config interface 'lan'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '192.168.240.1'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'

config interface 'wan'
        option ifname 'eth1'
        option proto 'dhcp'
        option metric '10'

UPDATE: Looks like everything is working now!

I have changed dhcp.script on all my Yuns, but I am still not getting a proper route:

root@yun03:~# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     10     0        0 eth1
192.168.240.0   *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 wlan0

Is there anything else I have to do other than edit dhcp.script and give the Yun a reboot? When does dhcp.script run? At startup or when a connection is initiated?

setup_interface () {
	proto_init_update "*" 1
	proto_add_ipv4_address "$ip" "${subnet:-255.255.255.0}"
	# TODO: apply $broadcast

for i in $router; do
		proto_add_ipv4_route 0.0.0.0 0 "$i"
            route add -net 0.0.0.0/0 gw "$i"
	done

UPDATE: It looks like the problem was from not directly following instructions... I have a habit of using Notepad++ for editing files, but in this case it added an undesirable "^M" to the end of the line above the one added to dhcp.config.

Some final questions: The "/" in the line added looks out of place. Should it be a " " instead, or does it not matter?

Is dhcp.script not wiped and reloaded when "resetting to factory settings"? Because the Yun that I updated and had a "^M" did not have its ethernet connection fixed after a full reset.

config interface 'wan'
        option ifname 'eth1'
        option proto 'dhcp'
        option metric '10'

You are on dhcp. You could change it to static IP address.

config interface 'wan'
        option ifname 'eth1'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.0.239'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'
	option 'gateway' '192.168.0.1'
	option 'dns' '8.8.8.8'

Never use windows app to edit Linux config file, you must be comfortable to use vi (some time vi is only one available), after Linux box up online then you could install nano (very closed to notepad).

whisprer:
Some final questions: The "/" in the line added looks out of place. Should it be a " " instead, or does it not matter?

The "0.0.0.0/0" is CIDR notation. In this case it would be the full range of addresses (0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255).

One more thought:

Turn off Wifi if you don't use it.

AR9331 (the heart of Yun) has a hardware bug where spurious RF ( WIFI reset ) emissions affect the USB PLL. Of course, Qualcomm Atheros will not acknowledge it as a critical bug as they found a software workaround for it.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=193540.msg1532112#msg1532112

The issue appears to be solved. I now have 4 Yuns set up and not losing eth1 after router DHCP lease time expires.
My solution was to use the DHCP fix linked to by Sonnyyu earlier in this thread. I prefer to not set up static from the Yun side because the ethernet devices I will connect to may vary in their IP ranges.

This issue should really be publicized clearly, perhaps in "Getting Started with Yun" or similar. I realize it is an issue with OpenWRT, but the reality is that most users expect to be able to run the Yun for extended periods of time (days, weeks, months, even years) with a reliable ethernet connection.

Sonnyyu, thanks again for the help. You turned a potentially unsolvable problem for me into one that only took a few days!

@whisprer
Please add it to the FAQ Arduino Playground - Yun I'm quite willing to test and proof read.

Best regards
Jantje

I have a similar problem with wifi (no eth) that hangup after a while, there is a way to solve it with wifi?
(php website on yun, after a while, dosen't answer at all or sometimes after 10/15 seconds.)

whisprer:
The issue appears to be solved. I now have 4 Yuns set up and not losing eth1 after router DHCP lease time expires.
My solution was to use the DHCP fix linked to by Sonnyyu earlier in this thread. I prefer to not set up static from the Yun side because the ethernet devices I will connect to may vary in their IP ranges.

You need to tell us either network drop out or php website (uhttpd) time out.
In network drop out case either Yun drop out from network completed or Yun drop out internet connection only?
In php website ( uhttpd) time out case either maximum number of concurrent requests is over or script_timeout is over?
Did you test with ethernet?

Hi, I'm here again (see answer only now, forgot 'Notify me of replies.' option), then...

sonnyyu:
You need to tell us either network drop out or php website (uhttpd) time out.
In network drop out case either Yun drop out from network completed or Yun drop out internet connection only?
In php website ( uhttpd) time out case either maximum number of concurrent requests is over or script_timeout is over?
Did you test with ethernet?

Network drop out. I can't connect to YUN (website on SD nor to /cgi-bin/luci/webpanel/homepage)
I use the myArduinoName.local to connect.

Not fully tested on ETH (I'm doing this now)

Find also the "option max_requests 2" on /etc/config/uhttpd .... can I change? how many?
(the interface could be used by more concurrent users... to be safe I think 4)

Changing to ETH I find also something strange:
--> wifi connect to my router (with static IP)
--> eht connect to my router (with obviously different static IP)
--> change the redirect (meta refresh on index html inside www pointing to sd)
Result:

1. if I point to IP (wifi/eth) it redirects to /cgi-bin/luci/webpanel/homepage
  2. if I point to myNameArduino.local it redirects (correctly) to sd

for static ip I change only /etc/config/network in this way

config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config interface 'lan'
        option proto 'static'        
        option ipaddr '192.168.1.203'                 
        option gateway '192.168.1.1'                                
        option dns '192.168.1.1'  

config interface 'wan'
        option ifname 'eth1'
        option proto 'static'        
        option ipaddr '192.168.1.103'                 
        option gateway '192.168.1.1'                                
        option dns '192.168.1.1'

After modify uhttp or web file:

/etc/init.d/uhttpd  restart

clear browser cache! restart browser.

Test Yun in network:

At computer: ping arduino.local

Test Yun in internet:

At Yun console: ping sun.com

sonnyyu:
After modify uhttp or web file:

/etc/init.d/uhttpd  restart

clear browser cache! restart browser.

Test Yun in network:

At computer: ping arduino.local

Test Yun in internet:

At Yun console: ping sun.com

All done.... but...
I try more days to be sure to had all the things in the correct way, but still freeze.

This is my SET:

• dedicated router, disconnected from internet (192.168.1.1)
  • 3 yun with fixed ip (101, 102, 103), connected via eth
  • disabled wifi ( edited /etc/config/wireless to disabled, and add comment on /etc/rc.local)

The problem:
--> at start, perfect answer on single website (one for each yun, on SD), and quickly answer to REST command
--> after 12 hours:

1. no answer form REST command
  2. websites still alive (php)
  3. config panel yun still alive
    (try also to restart webserver /etc/init.d/uhttpd restart)
    (hung up "python bridge.py" from advanced-panel/processes get message from REST "Could not connect to YunServer 146 Connection refused")

Forcing stdin, stdout and stderr to be unbuffered and binary

python -u bridge.py

sonnyyu:
Forcing stdin, stdout and stderr to be unbuffered and binary

Forcing stdin, stdout and stderr to be unbuffered and binary. Solves … · arduino/linino@a877a08 · GitHub

python -u bridge.py

Thanks.
I'll try soon. :slight_smile: