Paid project - Peltier driver/controller

Dear all

Im after someone to design and build me a project I need.

I need a peltier (tec) driver/controller. The controller needs to be able to heat and cool and receive feedback via a temp sensor to keep the peltier at a stable temperature within 0.2 degrees is possible.

In total I need to control around 8-10 peltiers, the controller needs to be flexible so that it can control a range of peltiers as they come in many different sizes. I think all are 12v but the amps vary depending on the size of the actual peltier. So maybe a pot on the peltier driver to change output current to the actual peltier.

Now the twist, I want the peltier driver/controller to be able to be plugged into a separate lcd screen which you use to set the temp you want the peltier to be at and display current temp. so I can monitor whats going on via the lcd.
As I need to control 8-10 peltiers the lcd screen needs to be able to have all 8-10 plugged in at once. I suppose if this was a problem two screens displaying 5 would be fine but I don’t want a screen per peltier driver/controller. I don’t want the peltier driver/controller to be dependent on the screen, so I can unplug it when not needed.

Size of the actual peltier driver/controller is important small is key as ill be using 8-10 of them, again flexible on this.

Im more interested in working with a person rather than a big company, someone who I can just have a chat with to discuss the design. I also have a much bigger project in mind so if this goes well you are likely to get some more work. Once I receive the first peltier controller and get things sorted my end im hoping to need lots more. Im not doing this as a one off.

Location? And are you offering money?

I think all are 12v but the amps vary depending on the size of the actual peltier. So maybe a pot on the peltier driver to change output current to the actual peltier.

What are you using for the peltier driver? The Arduino can't output 12V, and certainly can not output the kind of current needed.

Now the twist, I want the peltier driver/controller to be able to be plugged into a separate lcd screen which you use to set the temp you want the peltier to be at and display current temp. so I can monitor whats going on via the lcd.

An LCD is an output device. It can't be used to get input.

mirith:
Location? And are you offering money?

uk, but makes no odds to me where someone is located

yep to money, pay for someones time and final product

PaulS:

I think all are 12v but the amps vary depending on the size of the actual peltier. So maybe a pot on the peltier driver to change output current to the actual peltier.

What are you using for the peltier driver? The Arduino can't output 12V, and certainly can not output the kind of current needed.

An LCD is an output device. It can't be used to get input.

so a seperat eboard would need to be made to driver the peltier?

surely you could just add an external control of some sort to set the temps?

so but im not clued up enough to know the full ins and outs

Few more questions you need to think about are:

1. What environment and temperatures are you expecting?
  2. Do the peltiers need to interact? Controlling 1 is relatively simple, but expansion of that concept will involve creating more boards, depending on connection limitiations. This means creating a communication system to talk to a central controller. As long as each is independent, its not as big a deal, but its still a little complicated.
  3. What are your budget constraints?

1 - 0-40 degrees.

2 - nope no interaction, each one stand alone

3 - no idea as no idea what such a project will cost. But it's something I need to have

• "+/- 0.2 degrees" is a fairly tight control loop. in fact, 0.2 degrees is tighter than the limits of error for many sensors. celsius or fahrenheit ? are we talking about controlling just the surface temperature of the peltier device, or an airspace surrounding it ? any thoughts on what sort of device you want for the sensor ?

• please elaborate on what you want as far as the LCD display is concerned ....

it is indeed a tight tolerance

i design and build laser modules so want to use a peltier to control the temperature of an aluminium block which houses a laser diode.

as for the lcd i want to be able to monitor each laser diode temperature, plus use it to set the temp of each peltier. so even if a switch to set the temp of each peltier was on the actual peltier drver/controller thats fine. as long as i can use the lcd to just set it

Glass:

• "+/- 0.2 degrees" is a fairly tight control loop. in fact, 0.2 degrees is tighter than the limits of error for many sensors. celsius or fahrenheit ? are we talking about controlling just the surface temperature of the peltier device, or an airspace surrounding it ? any thoughts on what sort of device you want for the sensor ?

• please elaborate on what you want as far as the LCD display is concerned ....

Granted LCD screens can not be used for input I assume that Andy meant to display the parameter value in real time as it is adjusted opposed to blindly setting it and waiting for the system to reach its equilibrium to see what effect your adjustment had on the system. Add a pot or rotary encoder to set the parameters and the LCD to display the value RT and you are good to go.

A temperature delta of +/-0.2° is tight but is simply a matter of selecting the correct sensors and signal conditioning components and gains on the PID algorithm.

Sounds good, so who's going to help :wink:

The thermal inertia of the aluminum block will have to be taken into account. Are you trying to keep the aluminum block temperature constant, or the LASER itself?

What I see as the biggest issue regarding the hardware is that 8 or 10 peltier devices is going to draw a lot of power during those times when they are all on. For the software, tuning the PID loops is going to be important.

dont worry about the temp of the ally block or the laser diode, thats for me to sort out. i need a peltier controller that i can control the temperature of.

seperate drivers wont be a bit deal, just make one driver and job done. ill use how ever many i need

Ok, while I was composing a reply, several others posted and you answered some of my questions already.

Are we talking about delivery of a working system, just design and coding services, or something in between ?

To my view, you are looking at one Arduino with a suitable temperature sensor and high current DC PWM output per peltier device with perhaps a RaspberryPi + monitor and keyboard as the central control station.

I am willing to help on this project. PM me and we can negotiate.

yes delivery of a working system

size is key as i want to drive so many peltiers, could a small chip like this not be used to control the peltier?
someone on here designed me a fan controller

do i really need a keyboard? surely just a button to set the temperature?

Glass:
Ok, while I was composing a reply, several others posted and you answered some of my questions already.

Are we talking about delivery of a working system, just design and coding services, or something in between ?

To my view, you are looking at one Arduino with a suitable temperature sensor and high current DC PWM output per peltier device with perhaps a RaspberryPi + monitor and keyboard as the central control station.

I am willing to help on this project. PM me and we can negotiate.

Andy,

Did you get my PM?

wade

Andy,

I have worked up a bid, please check your PM's.

Thanks
wade

Interested in this project; is there an email I can reach you at?

Full transparency: We're a community of hardware engineers that are motivated to help each other. We have engineers with experience from 3M, Samsung, and NASA.

If you're available for a chat, please let me know. Thanks!