Go Down

Topic: Is Arduino Yun still in Beta? After many wasted hours I found this...... (Read 12954 times) previous topic - next topic

Jantje

I really hope the Arduino core team fixes these issues soon (like in yesterday)

And the good news is : Yesterday is here: http://blog.arduino.cc/2014/04/23/upgrading-the-openwrt-yun-image-on-the-yun/
I'm curious to find out whether my main issues are fixed :-)

Best regards
Jantje
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

mamu

Has anyone already done the update? Via terminal or via web front end?

federicofissore

If you go terminal, remember to copy the file on /tmp: otherwise, you fill the disk space and upgrade will silently fail.

rmagnus

First of all, thank you all for your answers.

@Robin:  Instead of trying Python I went even to a lower level by just issuing a "cat" command over the text file that I wanted to read from  the arduino side using "process" and of course that happened through the bridge.

p.runShellCommand("cat /mnt/sd/showfile.txt");
  while(p.available()>0)
  {
    char c = p.read();
    Serial.print(c);
  }

Anyway, the "cat" command worked perfect with small files. But with bigger files, the arduino just halted.

So if you check my first post on this thread, two paths yielded the same bad results, my conclusion is that the bridge is buggy.

@chrake:  do you think the combination of an arduino and a pi would be a good alternative?  I am afraid of running in more trouble than here.....

@tdicola, jantje: when I started this thread was motivated by the frustration after finding that simple things just don´t work.  Hopefully they will be fixed on the just released update.  I will post my findings here.....

@Matt: your post gives me hope! Thanks.  I have invested a ton of time on the yun and looking elsewhere was making me sad. What I need is to read realtime OSC packets in python, or sequenced from a text file in linux and send them as commands to the arduino side. It should not be too much for this platform! But not even being able to read the textfile has been very disappointing.

I also want a web-page to be served for configuration.

And lastly to play on the background an mp3 file, take the time reference from the player´s output and use it as cues for the text file commands.

Imagine a high end halloween animatronic figure that dances in sync with a song.

I thought it was not too much for the yun as it can be done with a regular arduino and shields.

Let´s see how it goes with the updates!

Thank you!

Rodolfo

chetto983

federicofissore

good catch chetto983. it's still 1.0 because technically it's not an upgrade. indeed kernel is older, so you may even say it's a downgrade
Fact is that this image has been built starting from a totally different starting point.
It's kind of a restart. Like when you installed Windows Millenium Edition and it was so buggy that you looked for a Windows98 cd

rmagnus

Hello Federico

I did the upgrade with the webpanel.

The led blinked for some minutes and then stopped.

Now the linux part is dead. I cannot connect to it even doing the long 30 sec reset.  The arduino.local page is gone and the access point does not show on my wifi.

Please advice.

Thank you

Rodolfo Magnus

federicofissore

Try uploading yunserialterminal example and see what it prints after a YUN RST (the white button near the leds)

PCWorxLA

It's kind of a restart. Like when you installed Windows Millenium Edition and it was so buggy that you looked for a Windows98 cd
You owe me a new keyboard now, Federico... :smiley-roll-sweat:

But then that statement made my day...  :smiley-mr-green:

Ralf  ;)

Jantje

good catch chetto983. it's still 1.0 because technically it's not an upgrade. indeed kernel is older, so you may even say it's a downgrade
Fact is that this image has been built starting from a totally different starting point.

You must have "enjoyed" some really interesting discussion to get to the point of actually doing this.
Thanks for the hard work.

Best regards
Jantje
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

rmagnus

Hello all

I did the update to my Yun and the linux part appears dead. I installed the yunserialterminal and attached  is the yun output . I can see something is wrong but I have no idea how to fix it.

PLEASE HELP

Thank you

Rodolfo Magnus

Robin2

Perhaps it has really only got as far as Gamma, not Beta ???

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

NewLine

If I upgrade to the new release I will lose e.g. all the packages I installed. Is there an easy way to get a list of packages I installed up to now?

sonnyyu

Go Up