Go Down

Topic: Alternative to 16U2 (Read 5249 times) previous topic - next topic

retrolefty

Well there are two different questions going on here. The OP stated he wanted to build his own arduino board and a second topic of quality/usefulness of inexpensive Asian nano/micro/uno boards.

My thoughts are unless one really just wants the experience/educational value of building an arduino from components, it's just not a cost or time effective effort. Better to put the time and effort into a shield or wired board that does something useful or interesting. Even for just bread-boarding it's hard to beat a < $10 Nano board that just plugs into a breadboad and has the usb connector ready to go and can even have it's bootloader updated to the latest optiboot version. And for insertion into a PCB it's hard to beat the $3 pro-minis. I've bought a few of both and seen no problem in quality or performance.

However that doesn't change my recommendation that a beginner should start off buying one 'real' arduino Uno board, just call it the 'entry cost' to our great community.  ;)

fungus

Well there are two different questions going on here. The OP stated he wanted to build his own arduino board and a second topic of quality/usefulness of inexpensive Asian nano/micro/uno boards.

If anybody wants to put an AVR chip in a breadboard and program it just to see how it's done then they probably should do it.

For building gadgets? The Pro Mini is unbeatable IMHO.

Unless you need USB connectivity, obviously ... or you can use a Tiny85 if it needs to be really tiny. Apart from that, they're unbeatable.

However that doesn't change my recommendation that a beginner should start off buying one 'real' arduino Uno board, just call it the 'entry cost' to our great community.  ;)

:)
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Go Up