Go Down

Topic: Homemade Arduino no-SMD (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

jmichel

Hello everybody, this is my first posting to the forum and my first contact with the Arduino too.

I'm in Brazil, in Rio more precisely, and I'm thinking about building my Arduino at home. But I wanted to build a copy of version Duemilanove and only found the definitions and lists of components for the construction of the SMD version, which I do not want it.

Does anyone know where I find articles that tell how to build a copy of the version Duemilanove or Mega but no-SMD? :)

For the attention of all thank you.

zachwiej

google for arduino singleside

keeper63

You could build the single-side version as suggested, then incorporate some of the other components from the SMD version, leaving off (mainly) the voltage switching (but be aware of this as you use it) logic and the SMD FTDI chip for USB. Instead, bring the TX/RX pins out to a header for an FTDI cable, and use that (or an FTDI breakout board) instead for the USB connectivity. Alternatively, leave it all off and use a header for ICSP and an AVR programmer (more expensive to implement, but more flexible, too). Lastly, if you have a serial port, which I think the single-sided version uses, you can either follow the layout for it for RS-232 serial, which I think uses a MAX232 or similar device for RS-232 to TTL 232 comms - or you can build a level shifter from some basic and common parts; basically a handful of transistors, caps, and resistors (look for the serial-port version of the Arduino on the site).
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

leppie

Google for arduino stripboard or arduino perfboard or arduino stand alone.

zageek

I have made a through hole version of the Arduino called the ZArdino last year.

http://geekstudio.co.za/products/zardino

I must upload the final layouts etc after finding the correct files because I have so many revisions and some have bugs in them. The final one works nicely.

Unfortunately you can't avoid the SMD FT232RL but thats easy to solder compared to soldering SMD resistors and LED's.  Just apply flux, then melt solder across all the pins then use solder braid wick up the excess. Yes its not the best way to do it but its the simplest way to do it at home.

As for the boards its double sided so depending upon your skills and equipment you might prefer to have them made up by a university or PCB house.

Go Up