Go Down

Topic: Auto clean litter box? (Read 3339 times) previous topic - next topic

Islandboy85

Anyone ever build one yet?  I'd love to hear about your experience.

mrburnette

My daughter has a commercial unit purchased at a yard sale.  It works well, requires a premium grade "clumping" litter, special plastic bags, etc.  But, it works and the cat seems not to mind the experience... She will sometimes watch as the machine rakes her business into the collection bin... But she has never attacked it.  She will become very angry if the machine is stuck of fails to cycle upon her next visit, however!

Islandboy85

My daughter has a commercial unit purchased at a yard sale.  It works well, requires a premium grade "clumping" litter, special plastic bags, etc.  But, it works and the cat seems not to mind the experience... She will sometimes watch as the machine rakes her business into the collection bin... But she has never attacked it.  She will become very angry if the machine is stuck of fails to cycle upon her next visit, however!

I was hoping to use regular grocery bags in mine. We have three boxes and two cats. Mine lets me know that I haven't emptied them twice daily by depositing a message right next to the box. I'd like to avoid too many more of those, plus, three boxes takes up a fair amount of space. I need a cozy box that empties itself, sucks up the dust, and has a feed auger to keep fresh poo sand coming in!

mrburnette

I do not think this is too ambitious and the Arduino should manage the logic nicely.  Just Google: video automatic cat box and watch a few of the ways the commercial units work.  Then replicate, reengineering the bagging cycle to use old grocery bags.

I'm not sure the cats would be too amused at a vacuum cleaner coming from a hidden compartment to clean the out-of-box spillage, however  :D

Islandboy85

If I program a delay in the cleaning cycle that should help keep it together.

Go Up