Go Down

Topic: Windows 8 : very slow compilation [Partial Solution & New Issue] (Read 2661 times) previous topic - next topic

Cekoia

Hi,

I recently installed the Arduino IDE 1.05 r2 version on my machine.
I can get my board working (Arduino Pro Micro as well as UNO)  but have been experiencing extremely slow compilation issues (it takes minutes instead of seconds to compile).

Looking at post http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=139818.0  , I took the following measures.
- turned off BlueTooth
- removed my antivirus
- looked for "filters" using
- re-installed the Arduino IDE quite few times
-

These did not work. I then installed the Arduino IDE in a different folder.
On the positive side, the compilation speed then dramatically improved. On the negative side, the serial monitor stopped working

IDE installed in C:\ProgramFIlesX86  standard program folder
- compilations run very slow
- Serial works fine
- Observations/guesses:

• it looks like the IDE is recompiling every single file every time (i.e. even "hello world type "program take ages to compile
  • It seems Windows 8 prevents files from being written on the programFile folders (e.g. If I run command line arduino --l4j-debug, IDE starts but no log file is created)

IDE installed on D:\ (data drive)
- compilations run quick, sketch run fine
- Serial monitor launches fine but it does not receive PrintSerial messages anymore
- Observation:

If someone has alread ran into such issues, any suggestion would be welcome.

retrolefty

I'm not much of a power windows user but I did recently get a laptop with windows 8.1 64 bit and had no problem installing the IDE. Both the arduino IDE and my sketch folders are in my document folders. I did have some problem installing drivers for my USBasp and USBtiny programmers due to them not having signed drivers, but there were procedures on the web to work around that restriction temporarily to allow installing the drivers.

KeepItSimpleStupid

If it's any consolation, the Prototype Sketch consisting of setup() and loop() takes about 18 seconds to compile on Ubuntu Linux 64 bit.

Cekoia

Giving up on this.

Re-installed everything on a different Windows 7 machine. This time  I put everything (sketches and libraries) in the MyDocument folder.
I now get decent compilation and uploading times (i.e sub 30 secs).

Robocoupe

Have u ever try, the "fixed" rxtxSerial.dll file??

here some clue at http://www.johngineer.com/

he just replace the original 'rxtxSerial.dll' with another modified 'rxtxSerial.dll'.

u can found the file here FILE

Go Up