Go Down

Topic: Bug in the IDE under Linux? (Read 8103 times) previous topic - next topic

luisilva

Hi all.

I'm using linux (in the case is linux Mint 17 cinnamon edition for 64bits), I install the IDE from the program manager and I have installed the version 1.0.5+dfsg2-2. I have one annoying problem that I don't have sure that is a problem from the IDE himself or from Java or even the SO. When I select one Board in this sub-menu, in the Tools menu, the text from the selected option disappears. It happens the same in the Serial Port and Programmer sub-menus. Anybody knowns how to solve this problem? Attached I left one picture where it's showed what I mean.

Thanks.

gopimn

Jun 03, 2014, 12:05 am Last Edit: Jun 03, 2014, 12:07 am by gopimn Reason: 1
Hello!
Maybe you should use a newer version of the IDE. i'm using the arduino-1.5.6-r2 and works fine.
This is the link for the 64 bits version. Visit The software page.

cyas :D

____

gopi

luisilva

gopimn, thank for your reply, but after download the new version, the problem still there. So, maybe, I can conclude that the problem is from the SO itself or even the version of Java.  BTW, the last version of this SO that I use a few moths until yesterday the problem was the same.

Jantje

are you sure it is not some os setting?
I use Linux and I do not have the problem.
Do you see the text when you try to select the same board again. I mean when the background is inversed to show you which item currently has the focus?
jantje
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

luisilva

When I say "the problem is from the SO itself" I include in this class some settings (that are all the settings by default, because I upgrade/reinstall all my system this weekend).
Yes, when I select I back again, or when I pass the mouse above it I see what is write "bellow". (is the only way to see what is selected). I don't say that makes it impossible to work with the program, but is annoying.

Jantje

I agree it is annoying. I don't know where arduino gets its information on how to set font and color but it looks like the theme you are using gives this problem. Maybe a mint forum might be a better way to find out more.
Have you noticed that the currently selected board and port is also visible in the bottom right of the IDE. That may take away some of the annoyance.
Jantje

luisilva

I agree it is annoying. I don't know where arduino gets its information on how to set font and color but it looks like the theme you are using gives this problem. Maybe a mint forum might be a better way to find out more.

I'll try the forum of Linux Mint. I simply ask the question here because I've think that was a problem of Arduino IDE.

Have you noticed that the currently selected board and port is also visible in the bottom right of the IDE. That may take away some of the annoyance.

Is true, and is a good point, but is not the same thing, I believe.

Many thanks.

luisilva

Thanks for the answers. Can I ask what are the distributions that you are using?

I ask this question in the Linux Mint forum, like Jantje had suggested but until now I don't have any answer.

68tjs

No problem with :
debian stable
debian testing

Jantje

red hat enterprise linux workstation release 6.4

luisilva

Thank you guys! Another thing that I've tried was with the live CD of other distributions see if the problem persist.
With Linux Mint Mate 64bits the problem still there.
With Ubuntu Linux 64 bits the menu is shown right.

robwlakes

Hi Guys,

I am also experiencing the disappearing menu options.  I am using XUbuntu 14.04 and Arduino IDE 1:1.0.5+dfsg2-2.  The combination worked fine until a little while ago.  I have notices that it does render the words but in white against very light grey ie not enough contrast!!!
The menus effected are off the "Tools" main branch so Board, Serial Port and Programmer all have their entries in white!
Slightly different but possibly related is "Contributed" in the Library menu is "deselected" out as well (like the "line" above it).  this has that chiseled look.
All the other menus such as the Sketches work ok.
Did any get a definitive answer to how to get the menus working properly?

Rob
Learning Flute and C++, heading for a meltdown.

robwlakes

Solved my problem, I had rogue fonts in my .fonts folder (Ubuntu Linux) that were being substituted and did not have the full character set.  So I did a binary chop swapping out fonts until I got rid of the offending fonts and all is good now.
Learning Flute and C++, heading for a meltdown.

Go Up