Go Down

Topic: Arduino Yun and WiFi - need help getting started (Read 19607 times) previous topic - next topic

Farmboy

Doing a laptop Restart didn't help either. 

I'm sure it's something basic on my laptop, but I haven't a clue what.  Some configuration issue?

Dean

JosAH

Doing a laptop Restart didn't help either. 

I'm sure it's something basic on my laptop, but I haven't a clue what.  Some configuration issue?

Strange ... so your laptop can 'see' the Arduino network but can't connect to it; the encryption used on other networks have nothing to do with it (WPA, WEP etc.) and the Arduino network is completely 'open'; the IPv4 address is 192.168.240.1 (after a reset); the silly thing is that it works for me without problems (using url http://192.168.240.1 in my browser after connecting to that network). My guess would also be that it's something in your laptop that forbids a connection (one way or another). Can you ping it from your laptop? (open a command line interface and issue a 'ping 192.168.240.1')

kind regards,

Jos

Farmboy

Thanks Jos.  I'm not sure how to open a Command Line Interface on my laptop, I take it that it's like DOS.  I did use the Arduino Serial Monitor and sent "ping 192.168.240.1" and got this back, but I presume that is via the USB interface, not the WiFi side of the Yun.

How do I open a CLI on my laptop?  Sorry, I'm a babe in the woods at this higher level software stuff.

Dean

BusyBox v1.19.4 (2013-08-07 16:16:02 CEST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

___                   ___                       ___           ___     
     /\__\      ___        /\__\          ___        /\__\         /\  \   
    /:/  /     /\  \      /::|  |        /\  \      /::|  |       /::\  \   
   /:/  /      \:\  \    /:|:|  |        \:\  \    /:|:|  |      /:/\:\  \ 
  /:/  /       /::\__\  /:/|:|  |__      /::\__\  /:/|:|  |__   /:/  \:\  \
/:/__/     __/:/\/__/ /:/ |:| /\__\  __/:/\/__/ /:/ |:| /\__\ /:/__/ \:\__\
\:\  \    /\/:/  /    \/__|:|/:/  / /\/:/  /    \/__|:|/:/  / \:\  \ /:/  /
  \:\  \   \::/__/         |:/:/  /  \::/__/         |:/:/  /   \:\  /:/  /
   \:\  \   \:\__\         |::/  /    \:\__\         |::/  /     \:\/:/  / 
    \:\__\   \/__/         /:/  /      \/__/         /:/  /       \::/  /   
     \/__/                 \/__/                     \/__/         \/__/   

_______                     ________        __
           |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
           |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
           |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
                    |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M

root@Arduino:/#
root@Arduino:/#

Farmboy

Got it, I found the Windows Powershell and pinged it using that. 

It did not respond, 4 tries with 32 bytes of data,  4 Request Timed Out responses.  Sigh.

Dean

Farmboy

Okay, the plot thickens.  I have another laptop from my work that I tried.  It responded at first by recognizing the Yun with "Limited Access" but after I disconnected and reconnected I got "connected" but also says it's an unidentified network.

Under both the "Limited Access" and "Connected" I tried the Ping 192.168.240.1 and got "PING: Transmit Failed. General Failure" four times.   Seems like some progress, I need to make this work with my own laptop.

Dean

JosAH

After you made a connection (with that other laptop), can you open its web interface (http://192.168.240.1) with a browser?

kind regards,

Jos

JosAH

A silly idea: after the Yun has booted, switch off your 'Mifi' network/router; now it's only your laptop and that Yun network with the Yun itself as an access point; can you connect to it now? If so, switch on your router again and see if the connection stays alive.

kind regards,

Jos

Farmboy

Thanks again Jos.

With my work laptop I could not get a web interface using http://192.168.240.1  and I tried it with and without the MiFi operating, and with the MiFi just disconnected at the laptop too. 

At my work laptop with the MiFi off I did a diagnostic on the Connection and got a message that said: "Wireless Network Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. It also said that my laptop had a proper configuration.  It also said it detected my Yun.   

At one point it said it had limited access to the Yun, other times no connection.   

You guidance is much appreciated!  It surely has to be a configuration problem at my laptop.  What config setting would block this device?

Take care,

Dean

Farmboy

On my work laptop I got different responses when I ping'ed.  Usually just a "general failure" or "Request Timed Out", but one time I got a "Destination Host Unreachable" 3 times, then a "Request Timed Out" the 4th time.  It doesn't seem to matter if I've got my MiFi connected or not.

Dean

JosAH

At my work laptop with the MiFi off I did a diagnostic on the Connection and got a message that said: "Wireless Network Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. It also said that my laptop had a proper configuration.  It also said it detected my Yun.   

Hm, to me it looks like your company is trying to block other networks from being connected; what should be invalid about the IPv4 192.168.240.1? If this happened to me I'd feel the irresistable urge to completely reinstall the OS on that laptop; but your company probably wouldn't like it ;-)

kind regards,

Jos

JosAH

On my work laptop I got different responses when I ping'ed.  Usually just a "general failure" or "Request Timed Out", but one time I got a "Destination Host Unreachable" 3 times, then a "Request Timed Out" the 4th time.  It doesn't seem to matter if I've got my MiFi connected or not.

That's one of the lower OSI layers, i.e. depending on, say, humidity, the radio transmission/receiving layer might be goofy; it has nothing to do with your problem.

kind regards,

Jos

federicofissore

Farmboy, in none of your posts you say you've connected your laptop wifi to the wifi created by the Yun.

When you're working with Yun's own wifi, your mifi router or whatever other thing is around you has nothing to do with you. It's only your laptop and your yun

Can you connect your laptop to the yun's wifi? (Arduino Yun-ABC...)

JosAH

When you're working with Yun's own wifi, your mifi router or whatever other thing is around you has nothing to do with you. It's only your laptop and your yun

That's the reason why I suggested to switch the entire thing off; I don't believe that a fresh out of th e box Yun (or decently reset) can cause so much trouble; it has to have something to do with the laptop.

kind regards,

Jos

Farmboy

Hi Frederico, thanks for the help.

I can get my laptop to recognize the Yun, when I show my "Networks" it lists my MiFi and the Arduino Yun - 90A2DAXXXXX. But it does not connect.  I click on "Connect" for the Yun and it comes back with a "Can't connect to this Network" response.

When it shows the list of Networks, the MiFi shows the signal strength bars, and the Yun shows the same signal strength bars but with a little shield with a ! in the shield above the bars.  Is that an indicator?  This is on Windows 8.0.

I'm just working with my personal laptop, I have to make it work with this anyway.

Thanks. 

Dean

sonnyyu

I'm just working with my personal laptop, I have to make it work with this anyway.

Plan B: We could use sharing wifi connection over Ethernet.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=188101.msg1641915#msg1641915

Go Up