Go Down

Topic: Arduino Yun and WiFi - need help getting started (Read 19614 times) previous topic - next topic

Farmboy

I switched over to a public network and still nothing.  It recognizes the Yun, but won't connect. 

Do I need a Windows 8 driver update?

Dean

sonnyyu

access point connection failed - windows cannot resolve your wireless connectivity issue and problem with wireless adapter or access point.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/internet-connection-failed-router-access-point/ff07b1d5-a29a-466f-a265-4d70073d6d30

Official solution

Step 1: You may also temporarily disable security software's and check if the issue persists. Make sure to enable those security software's on the computer after checking.

Step 2: Update the network adapter driver.

Step 3: Check if the issue persists in clean boot state.

Step 4: Check if you are able to access internet in safe mode with networking and post back the same.

sonnyyu

Farmboy

Farmboy

What do you mean by "clean boot state"?

Thanks,

Dean

sonnyyu

Jos, when I hover over the bars/shield  I don't get anything other than "Security: Unsecured" and "Type 802.11n"  I presume that a Yun at level 802.11n is compatible with my MiFi/laptop at 802.11g?  

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/NP350V5C-A01US-specsWireless LAN
Your Laptop support
Wireless LAN: 802.11 b/g/n

sonnyyu

What do you mean by "clean boot state"?

Thanks,

Dean

Step 3: Check if the issue persists in clean boot state.

Putting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

Try the steps provided under Step 1 in the below article to put your computer in clean boot mode.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

federicofissore

Farmboy, btw: your project has to work over wifi an that's ok, but I think you may accept to first configure the yun via ethernet, don't you?
Once your yun will be configured to access your home wifi, you won't be affected by this windows issue

Farmboy

That would be acceptable Frederico!  I just didn't know that was possible or necessary.  But I don't know how to do that.

Would Ethernet be essentially a LAN solution that I could use instead of internet?  My project wouldn't necessarily require access other than locally, I am planning on using the laptop to communicate with many Yuns over a WiFi Hub so I can reach out over a wider area.

I tried the "Clean Boot" this morning, now I can't get the Laptop to even recognize the YUN.  What the heck?

I'll look for a "getting started" guide on Yun Ethernet, or if you can get me started that would be great.

Dean

sonnyyu

If you have access an other laptop, should give it try.

find out which one is trouble maker, Windows or Yun.

JosAH

If you have access an other laptop, should give it try.

find out which one is trouble maker, Windows or Yun.

Assuming it's a fresh Yun (or with a properly reset WiFi), my guess is MS Windows 8 is the trouble maker; if it's true that it doesn't want to connect to an open network, I find it preposterous.

kind regards,

Jos

federicofissore

Farmboy, it's just about plugging into the yun an ethernet cable, that would do, just as if you've configured wifi.

Then of course you need to access it. Windows is trickier, you have to install the "Bonjour print services" (scroll down to the end of the windows paragraph) and double check your firewall is not blocking port 5353 UDP. If that part is ok, starting the IDE should list your yun IP address under the "ports" menu. Type that IP into your browser address bar and access the configuration panel

Farmboy

Okay, I have the Ethernet cable plugged in.  And the Laptop recognizes it as an unidentified network.

And I loaded Bonjour days ago when I first started.  I presume I don't need to anything more than that, it's got an icon on my desktop.

And I presume the IDE you are referring to is the Arduino 1.5.6-r2 that I use to write and load Sketches, use the Serial Monitor, etc.

But I am stumped on the Port 5353 UDP blocking.  The 1.5.6-r2 has a Port item on the  Tools menu, when I click on port it gives me COM4 for the USB port, but nothing else. And I've searched through my Firewall stuff on the laptop to no avail, I can't find anywhere to enable Port 5353 UDP. 

Sorry I'm being such a pain, I thought this would be much easier than it is.

Dean

federicofissore

I suppose you've used the ethernet cable to plug your computer to the yun, but that's not right. Your computer should stay plugged to your network switch/router/modem and you must plug the yun to it as well

Farmboy

Yes, I went PC to Yun with the cable.   Crap.  I'll have to get a different WiFi router then, this one doesn't have an Ethernet port. 

Dean

Go Up